Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the name of the act

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
That states my job must make reasonable accommodations for me to be able to perform my job?

I'm short and I cannot reach the top shelf at work. We were resetting shelves and my manager said they didn't have a stool to accommodate me. He handed me a short wooden stool they actually sell there and it was slipping and sliding. He made the comment that he "didn't want a workers comp claim" and I said "well I'm more worried about myself".

So tomorrow I'm going right in and telling him here's the deal, you need to provide me with a non-slip stool so I can do my job safely or find someone else to reset the top shelf. Period.

I just wanted to be able to quote OSHA or something.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2017 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 21, 2017 at 5:12 PM
Look it up yourself. Google is your friend.
OliRye1234
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 5:12 PM
The Americans with Disabilities act, but I'm not sure this would be covered under it.
cupcake7734
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 5:12 PM
Look up the Americans with Disabilities Act. You can also offer to bring one in yourself. Get a foldable step stool you can tuck away behind/under something when it isn't in use.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2017 at 5:16 PM
How could I look up something I don't know the name of?AND I was wondering if maybe someone knew if it was covered under OSHA.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Look it up yourself. Google is your friend.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2017 at 5:18 PM
I already have to buy my own knee pads for the super low shelves. It's their responsibility to get me what I need to do the job safely. I was going to buy the stool but that's ridiculous, not everyone can reach the top shelf.

Quoting cupcake7734: Look up the Americans with Disabilities Act. You can also offer to bring one in yourself. Get a foldable step stool you can tuck away behind/under something when it isn't in use.
OliRye1234
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 5:23 PM
Is this a large business or some small mom and pop shop?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I already have to buy my own knee pads for the super low shelves. It's their responsibility to get me what I need to do the job safely. I was going to buy the stool but that's ridiculous, not everyone can reach the top shelf.

Quoting cupcake7734: Look up the Americans with Disabilities Act. You can also offer to bring one in yourself. Get a foldable step stool you can tuck away behind/under something when it isn't in use.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 21, 2017 at 5:24 PM
Excuses excuses. You dint need to know the "name" of the act or even statues number. Just using key words and your states name will get the job done. It might take time. Since you are the one that wants to be a badass at work and show up your boss, at least put in a little effort. Damn, lazy much?

Quoting Anonymous 1: How could I look up something I don't know the name of?AND I was wondering if maybe someone knew if it was covered under OSHA.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2017 at 5:30 PM
Fuck off.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Excuses excuses. You dint need to know the "name" of the act or even statues number. Just using key words and your states name will get the job done. It might take time. Since you are the one that wants to be a badass at work and show up your boss, at least put in a little effort. Damn, lazy much?

Quoting Anonymous 1: How could I look up something I don't know the name of?AND I was wondering if maybe someone knew if it was covered under OSHA.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 21, 2017 at 5:31 PM
The ADA covers accommodations for those with disabilities, but I am not sure being short is considered a disability unless you are a little person. However, it is the duty of the employer to provide equipment to safely perform duties of the job. Look online to see if there is an OSHA hotline to call, they may know more whether a stool is covered by OSHA requirements or not.

I'd look for a new job, management sounds like assholes so even if you had proof they needed to provide a stool, they may retaliate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2017 at 5:31 PM
National and in Canada huge business

Quoting OliRye1234: Is this a large business or some small mom and pop shop?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I already have to buy my own knee pads for the super low shelves. It's their responsibility to get me what I need to do the job safely. I was going to buy the stool but that's ridiculous, not everyone can reach the top shelf.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)