Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why won't they enforce the school dress code?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 107 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have a high school freshman and she tends to be a rebel.  She dismisses the school dress code because "no one cares anyway."

Then she mentioned how a girl wore a cami with spaghetti straps the first day and no one said anything.  Another wore a crop top and again, no one cared. And so on and so forth!

I'm about to make an appointment with the school vice principal.  I want them to enforce the dress code!  I need them to back me up so when I tell her something's not appropriate, they will not allow it at school either since it breaks the dress code!

Does your school have a dress code?  Do your kids abide by it?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2017 at 3:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 22, 2017 at 3:22 AM
9 moms liked this

In other words, you want the school to do your job for you...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 22, 2017 at 3:29 AM
My kid has a super lax dress code. She could wear leggings with a spaghetti strap crop top to school and it would be fine. The Feminist Club challenged a lot of the dress code rules until the rules became more and more relaxed. I do remember when I was still following our old district's dress code, and felt a bit adrift because I kept saying I wouldn't let clothes in my house that she couldn't even wear to school, and she argued with me because she could wear this stuff to school.
mommy2boys03
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 3:35 AM
2 moms liked this
If the school isn't giving violations out for dress code issues it makes it more difficult to get a child to follow them especially high school level. Theybare at the age where they will say why bother following the rules if no one is getting in trouble for it. The school doesn't care anyways. High schoolers need to see that if there is a rule something will happen if you break it.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

SueWanda
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 3:38 AM
Why does she have clothes you consider inappropriate ?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 22, 2017 at 4:52 AM
5 moms liked this
Actually high schoolers should not have their clothing micro managed by adults. My kid will be old enough to vote in 9 months. There is no reason for any adult to be dictating her wardrobe at this point. If we trust them to vote, they should be able to be trusted to dress themselves.

Quoting mommy2boys03: If the school isn't giving violations out for dress code issues it makes it more difficult to get a child to follow them especially high school level. Theybare at the age where they will say why bother following the rules if no one is getting in trouble for it. The school doesn't care anyways. High schoolers need to see that if there is a rule something will happen if you break it.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 22, 2017 at 4:54 AM
2 moms liked this
And to answer the question, my kid's school has a dress code, they only enforce really blatant dress code infractions. Which is fine, they need to spend their time educating students.
BrownEyedGirl86
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 5:19 AM

I wouldn't wait for the school to back me up a way I saw fit for my child to dress... if the clothes are not appropriate, don't buy them for her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 22, 2017 at 6:03 AM

Who is the parent here? Not you that's for sure. 

In saying that though - in my kid's school, she constantly got away with dress code violations because she was SN and the school didn't want a battle. I fought her if it was totally inappropriate -but if the ony way to get her to wear a jacket in 10 degree weather was if it was blue not black - I wasn't fighting her - and neither was the school.

RachelBy
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 6:05 AM
My dd is only 6 and goes to a little Montessori style private school, I am not even sure if they have a specific dress code. It only goes up to 6th grade
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 22, 2017 at 6:24 AM
I am not the clothes police. My high school kids wear what they want. I don't enforce any dress code and our high school is very lax about it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)