Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She got a 99% on the test which means she failed and has to retake the class

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 118 Replies

And she is complaining about how "unfair" it is. 

My sister is in nursing school. It is her second semester. I went through the same program several years ago so she comes to me for advice about it a lot. She wanted to know who to talk to about not having to waste the money to retake the test. I told her that there is nothing she can do

The test was on dosage calculations. The policy is that every semester you  must take that test with 100% or retake the class. My sister says it is so unfair. That a simple mistake shouldnt make you waste $700 to retake the class. 

I told her she needs to stop thinking that way and get used to it. In real life when she is a nurse that mistake could kill someone. If she does a dosage calculation wrong and gives the wrong amount the results can be devastating. That is why the school doesnt mess around with it. If you cant get 100% on the test how can they trust you to work with patients?

Well now my sister says I am being unfair and a bitch. She said I am rubbing it in her face how smart I am and how stupid she is. That isnt the case at all. I dont think she is stupid but she is being "young and dumb" right now. 19 year olds are not the most mature. 

I toldher to take the class and just make sure she knows everything and can do it in her sleep. No it isnt fun but it is something she will have to do if she wants to keep going to nursing school. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:21 AM
That is bull. She should've chose a different nursing school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this

I disagree that it is bull but you are free to your opinion

All of the nursing schools in our area have the same policy. She would have to go out of state which she doesnt want to do. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: That is bull. She should've chose a different nursing school.

Stephw1110
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:22 AM
I agree there is a reason the school requires 100%. She needs to make sure she checks, double checks, and triple checks her work....
Stephw1110
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
And I'm sure the school fully explained the reason why they need to receive a 100%...it's not like they just told them after the fact
tsatske2
by Latricia on Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:25 AM

If she got a 99%, the class should be easy for her this time, and she can study some and get a 100%. Real like is not based on what is fair, just what is. Tell her to learn to accept life on life's terms. 

Stephw1110
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:25 AM
On our state test to get your license l, if you miss a single question on dosing you automatically fail. The school should prepare them accordingly.

Quoting Anonymous 2: That is bull. She should've chose a different nursing school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Yes they did. They are very clear about it. They also over study groups and free tutors year round to help anyone who is struggling

Quoting Stephw1110: And I'm sure the school fully explained the reason why they need to receive a 100%...it's not like they just told them after the fact

Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:27 AM
My school required the same

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I disagree that it is bull but you are free to your opinion

All of the nursing schools in our area have the same policy. She would have to go out of state which she doesnt want to do. 

Curlymom234
by Flamingo lady on Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Well if it's such a big issue then maybe she shouldn't be a nurse or she should've made damn sure she passed the first time. If it's just one point then the class should be much easier next time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:37 AM

welcome to life, darlin'.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)