Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should high school students get part-time jobs?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:08 AM
  • 183 Replies
2 moms liked this

My near 16 yr old is driving me crazy with wanting to get a job but I feel like school is his job.

I just don't want him so distracted that school work suffers. KWIM?

Do you think high school students should work?

by on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thebadkitty
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

why not? Some kids do sports, some do dance, others work. Im not seeing the problem. Why do you insist your teen sit at home staring at the tube?

owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:10 AM
I wasn't allowed to work during the school year only during the summers. I think teenagers should focus on school and extracurricular activities.
caustinb
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:12 AM
3 moms liked this
If he isn't doing anything else, I'd let him try. Warn that if grades slip, then he's quitting.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes, the rule is in my house they must get a job at 16.  They want a license, car or any wants at 16 they have to pay for it all themselves. 

A job has never distracted my kids from school.  Work in no way affected school as it was after school or weekends. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
That was my moms and mils rule for me and dh and that will be our rule for our kids.

And I maintained a 3.6 gpa, marching band and color guard as well as several clubs. It didnt distract dh either he maintined good grades but was kind of a loner so didnt participate in after school activities.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Yes, the rule is in my house they must get a job at 16.  They want a license, car or any wants at 16 they have to pay for it all themselves. 

A job has never distracted my kids from school.  Work in no way affected school as it was after school or weekends. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I worked everyday after school and weekends.... It was a kiosk job so I could do my home work when it was slow. Which was most of the time... I quit when suddenly the time I booked off and he agreed to give me (prom, grade 12 graduatation, and exams) but when one of the girls quit. He said I no longer had that time off. And I was just going to have to miss prom, grad, and miss exams.... I faxed in my two weeks because he was on holidays. And he came back from holidays to tell me next shift I wasn't working my two weeks.

I was working 32-35 hrs week on top of school.

Now I would encourage kids to focus on school. But if they wanted a very p/t job I can't stop them.
all2gethernow
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:20 AM
Depends on their schedule. My kids were all home educated, and the oldest worked full time her senior year because she only had 2 credits to complete. My middle child started working part time in his senior year because he spent most of his free time yelling at video games and asking for money and a car. My youngest is entering his junior year with only 3 credits needed, but he's an athlete, and spends all his free time in training or practice-like every night (karate M-W-F, training M and W, and football/basketball T, Th, and Saturday.) He talks about getting a PT job, but until basketball season is over, I don't see it happening. He also has no interest in driving (16 1/2)
My kids are responsible for car insurance-we buy the car, but they have to fundinsurance and gas. We'll revisit this in the spring.

I worked full time at 15 while in school. I had too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:20 AM
I had my first job at 16. I worked during breaks and minimally during the week. I loved having a job and making my own money. I had great grades.

If he can handle it, let him try. It he can't then he's learned a lesson. Maybe he just needs to work during breaks.

I won't expect my kids to get a job at 16 but will allow it if I feel they can manage it all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:21 AM
Not in my house or world. I may allow them to get a weekend only job IF they have great grades (A minimum)......senior year only
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine had a job @ 15. Now 17 has her own car she pays for. Starts college next week.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)