Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Instead of being apologetic for how rude he was they actually thought I was being rude

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 124 Replies
We had my husband's birthday dinner Sunday night. I had about 40 people coming and I made tons of food. I made two different kinds of lasagna regular with sausage and a white lasagna) and shrimp scampi. I also had a salad with all the fixings on the side so people could pick and choose what they wanted, breadsticks and several appetizers ( Italian meatballs, mozzarella sticks and bite-size chicken parm sandwiches).

My mother-in-law came along with her husband of six years and her 16 year old step-son. When it came time to eat, everything was out on the counter buffet style so everybody was to help themselves. My husband's step brother walked over to my refrigerator (which I kind of thought was weird because there's nothing in there that I was offering, Even the drinks were out on the counter). He started rummaging through my fridge and I asked him what he was doing. He said he was going to make himself a sandwich. I said that no he's not that I have plenty of options and he can choose from one of that or he can wait till they get home and make him something at home. But I'm not about to let him make a sandwich. I spent all day cooking and there was more than enough for everybody. Plus the sandwich fixings are for lunches. Well he stomped away and went outside to pout like a four year old. I guess my mother-in-law followed him out there and a few minutes later she came in and pulled me aside and asked why I have to be so Rude, why can't I just let him make a sandwich. I asked her why she thought it was appropriate for him to snub the food that I made and helped himself to stuff that I'm not offering. Because he was not going to ask. He was rummaging through my fridge already grabbing things before I asked him what he was doing. She said that since I invited him over he should have whatever he wants. I told her that that's not the way it works in my house and I know that's not the way it works at her house. She would have never let my kids do something like that, not that I would allow them to. I also mentioned to her that on the Facebook Evite that I sent out it clearly listed what I was fixing so if he didn't want one of those things he should have eaten before they came over or stayed at home.

They ended up leaving really early without so much as a thanks for having us or even wishing my husband a happy birthday!
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2017 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2017 at 2:47 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 22, 2017 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Ehh I would not have given a shit about a sandwhich. It's really not that big of a deal to me.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 2:52 PM
6 moms liked this

He was rude and she needed to stay out of it. It wasnt like he was a toddler.

MSMOUSE0519
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 2:53 PM
11 moms liked this

I agree with you. Your MIL should have read him the menu and told him what you were having. If he didn't like it then he should have ate something before coming over.

I would have found that very rude as well. Who does that?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2017 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. But I almost feel like he was just trying to be difficult. Because really out of all the things that I've listed who doesn't like at least one or two of those things? He could have easily made a meal even out of just the salad breadsticks and maybe one appetizer if he didn't like the main dishes

Quoting MSMOUSE0519:

I agree with you. Your MIL should have read him the menu and told him what you were having. If he didn't like it then he should have ate something before coming over.

I would have found that very rude as well. Who does that?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2017 at 2:55 PM
2 moms liked this
And that's up to you. If you're okay with cooking all day to make a nice meal for everybody and then somebody deciding they're going to go grab something out of your refrigerator which is meant for your family that's okay. But I wasn't.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Ehh I would not have given a shit about a sandwhich. It's really not that big of a deal to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 22, 2017 at 2:56 PM
9 moms liked this

Who gets into someone's fridge without permission when you're a visitor in their home?  I find that kind of behavior very obnoxious.  He was rude.  Not you, OP.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2017 at 2:56 PM
If he was little I probably would have offered a peanut butter sandwich but really nobody in my family would have allowed their kids even little kids to get away with that. I mean it's not like the stuff that I made was so foreign that kids would absolutely not like it. I mean who doesn't like cheese sticks?

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

He was rude and she needed to stay out of it. It wasnt like he was a toddler.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 22, 2017 at 2:56 PM
3 moms liked this
He was rude, but it wouldn't have killed you to let him have a sandwich.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 22, 2017 at 2:56 PM
No one is that dense and entitled. Seriously.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)