Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can I expect when dd's cast comes off?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
My dd broke her elbow. She's been in a cast almost 5 weeks. She's been going to the orthopedic surgeon weekly for X-rays. Last Thursday he said that the new bone growth looked so good that next Thursday (tomorrow!) the cast will probably come off.

What can we expect when it comes off? Will she be in pain? Will she be able to use her arm right off? The ortho said something about maybe needing physical therapy when the cast comes off but he said it on her first appointment when he put the cast on. He's never mentioned it again. My other kids have never had a broken bone and neither have I. So I'm just not sure what to expect.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2017 at 5:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
vilandra
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 5:10 AM
I've never broken anything but a close friend did. He broke his forearm. When he got the cast off he said it was really stiff (had two casts, one that was from the elbow to hand and then on that was just forearm to hand) and he went to pt for a little while. Just said it was nice to be able to scratch and move.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 23, 2017 at 5:23 AM
My dd is 6 and all she wants is to be able to go swimming. She's begging for a trip to the pool right after her appointment. I told her we'll have to talk to the dr about it. All I've heard for the last 5 weeks is how much she wants to go swimming. Poor kid.

Quoting vilandra: I've never broken anything but a close friend did. He broke his forearm. When he got the cast off he said it was really stiff (had two casts, one that was from the elbow to hand and then on that was just forearm to hand) and he went to pt for a little while. Just said it was nice to be able to scratch and move.
tklrcl2014
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 5:26 AM

It's going to look like a limp noodle when it first comes off.  The arm will be atrophied and that's why she'll need the PT, to make the muscles work again.  She shouldn't be in serious pain, but it might be sore for a few days. 

MistressMonster
by Sour Grapes on Aug. 23, 2017 at 5:28 AM

I broke my right wrist twice as a child. First time was a hairline fracture. I had two casts during that time. First one was nearly to my shoulder, second cast was just to my elbow. I remember when I didn't need a cast anymore, looking at my wrist and forearm and how tiny it was. I also didn't miss how itchy it was wearing the bloody thing.

Second time, I had a greenstick break. That cast only went to my elbow. What a brutal summer that was. Hot, and couldn't ride bikes, go swimming, etc. I can't remember how long I wore that one. I never got physical therapy for either thing, but don't think they did that for those during the 80, and maybe they didn't in my area at the time. I could use my wrist right away, but remember them telling me to take it easy.

rhope4
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 5:50 AM
1 mom liked this
This. She may be shocked by how stiff it is and that she won't be able to use it as fast as she thinks now. I had both legs broke as a kid in a car accident, and I wasn't able to run and play right off. It took a few weeks to learn to walk again. Expect frustration from her til she gets the range of motion back. I broke my arm eight years ago and know that frustration well!!

Quoting tklrcl2014:

It's going to look like a limp noodle when it first comes off.  The arm will be atrophied and that's why she'll need the PT, to make the muscles work again.  She shouldn't be in serious pain, but it might be sore for a few days. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)