Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Deliquent lunch accounts

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 217 Replies
4 moms liked this
With school starting, this is bound to be a hot button issue again this year; schools shaming children by taking their lunches and tossing them in the trash if they don't have enough money.
Our district doesn't charge for lunches or breakfast, so it's not an issue here but every time the issue comes up it pisses me off.
Young Kids aren't responsible for putting money in their account, that's on their parents. Shaming a kid over a 1.50 lunch is asinine.
What is your the policy at your childs school and do you agree with it? Should they be taking good from kids and throwing it in the garbage? If you agree with it, what is your reasoning?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2017 at 6:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 6:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Free lunches.

Oh and tossing food and making someone go hungry is REVOLTING
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 6:19 AM
6 moms liked this
Our school serves no food, except for parties. If a parent isn't sending lunches or lunch money, they should be reported to CPS. If they're truly poor, then they are probably getting food stamps and possibly wic. There's no reason they shouldn't be feeding their kids. Until it's sorted out, the school should provide at least a basic lunch so the kid doesn't starve.
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 6:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not sure how that is handled at my son's school but I agree with you. A child should never be shamed and food wasted.
Spam72
by Emerald Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this
In our district you can always get mainline, even if you owe $1000, you can't get ala carte, so no fro yo, chips, etc.
The only people paying for lunch can either afford it, or have refused to fill out the forms. They can send parents to collection agencies or refuse to send transcripts to colleges or release your diploma if your debt isn't paid.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 6:24 AM
7 moms liked this
Easy solution. Get a job. Give kids money. Don't complain. About your kids being embarrassed. Or have your kid do things for neighbors got extra money. Cutting grass. Mowing a lawn etc
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 6:25 AM
Fuck your school. I ain't gonna make lunch everyday for my kid. What type of lazy ass school does your kids go too

Quoting Anonymous 3: Our school serves no food, except for parties. If a parent isn't sending lunches or lunch money, they should be reported to CPS. If they're truly poor, then they are probably getting food stamps and possibly wic. There's no reason they shouldn't be feeding their kids. Until it's sorted out, the school should provide at least a basic lunch so the kid doesn't starve.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 6:26 AM
I don't honestly know. This is his first year in a new school and the first year he has to pay for lunch. His last school included it in tuition. But, lunch is $5/day, so he is packing lunch and will be allowed to buy 1-2 times a month. I just don't need another $100/month expenditure on top of everything else I already pay. I'm not sure what they do if you get behind. Ultimately, they'd hold report cards and transcripts at the end of the year for any unpaid balance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 6:27 AM

This is one of the issues I ran in for school board. Too bad people here vote straight down the line or their kids would be getting breakfast and lunch free.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 6:27 AM
We get free lunches because we are technically low income for our family size. It's very nice.
RachelBy
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 6:32 AM
Dd's school doesn't serve lunch so we pack daily. Though they offer "hot eats" where they order out twice a week for 5$ if you choose.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)