Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I put weight on a kid?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
My son needs to put some weight on. His doctor suggested 5lbs by October. He's pretty picky. Are there any high caloric drinks or foods I can give him? I don't want to pump him full of crap
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2017 at 7:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Aug. 23, 2017 at 7:42 AM

Make smoothies for him and add healthy fats such as avocadoes to it..If he doesn't have nut allergies, nuts are higher fat and a great option as well. Cook with real butter or olive oil as those are higher calorie as well. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 7:42 AM

A lot of people don't like to give it, but the only thing that put weight on my daughter was Pediasure. When I didn't give her that, I'd get whole milk, mix some half and half into it, and use the low sugar Carnation Instant Breakfast. She gained 3 pounds in 3 months.

SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 7:42 AM
Avocado
Nuts
Eggs
Nut butters
Butter
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 7:43 AM
You can always supplement him with pediasure. That's what we used when my son had pneumonia and wouldn't eat for a week and a half.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 7:45 AM
Pediasure is terrible. If you're wanting a nutritional supplement choose a plant based one. Also foods like avocado, sweet potato, banana, nut butters.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 7:49 AM

How old is your son? Building muscle requires exercise. I'd just make sure my kids were getting plenty of calories and protein and we'd exercise more.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 7:51 AM
Feed him. Too many kids are undernourished because of the whacked out diet some parents force on their kids.
Sailor.Moon.Mom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 7:54 AM
Story of my almost 6 yr olds life. We've been doing high calorie diets since she was 4 1/2 months old. Dd is picky and rarely eats. She's 32lbs same weight has her two yr old sister.
We do peanut butter smoothies or milkshakes- she rarely has more than a sip though. I put peanut butter or almond butter in pancakes, muffins, with banana. Or I freeze smoothies and tell her it's ice cream. I also had vitamin in it, protein powders etc...
my dd is so picky and rarely eats food that it's hard to even get these things in her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 8:03 AM

when my dd was "too thin" according to the Dr's office, we were told to give her Carnation instant breakfast drinks a few times a day (not instead of breakfast).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 23, 2017 at 8:18 AM
Oh he eats. A lot in fact. Yesterday he had a peanut butter and jam sandwich, a peach, strawberries, a bowl of cereal, a piece of toast, celery, carrots, and 2 mini pizzas by lunch. He just burns it off.

Quoting Anonymous 5: Feed him. Too many kids are undernourished because of the whacked out diet some parents force on their kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)