Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS got detention over a pencil!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 301 Replies

And it was my fault. DS is in 5th grade. At his school mechanical pencils are not allowed to be used because they are a "safety hazard". Well at home that is all he uses because he prefers them. Every night parents are supposed to fill out a form saying how much reading was done, that they did other homework, and any good or bad things that happened during homework. I did that and without thinking I clipped the pencil to his planner and put it in his backpack 

When he got to school he pulled out the homework planner and the teacher saw the mechanical pencil. He was sent to the office for it! He said he didnt even know how it got in there. He got a detention. 

I even went and explained that the pencil being in there was my fault when I picked him up when he told me what had happened. They said he still has to do detention today. That isnt going to happen. I will pick him up at the normal time. 

It is a fucking pencil! I mean yes he shouldnt have had it there but detention? He wasnt even using it. There is nothing at all in the handbook saying that you get detention for bringing one, just that they are not allowed and they will be taken. I feel the school is grossly over reacting over it.    

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:52 AM
3 moms liked this

Great way to teach your kid that he doesnt have to follow the schools rules and punsihments.

No need to quote me, Im not one who cares if any of you disagree with my comments.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:53 AM
3 moms liked this

School rules do NOT say he gets a detention for that. Just that it will be taken away 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Great way to teach your kid that he doesnt have to follow the schools rules and punsihments.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:54 AM

The school determined he gets detention for it.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

School rules do NOT say he gets a detention for that. Just that it will be taken away 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:54 AM
3 moms liked this

So I should teach him that the school is free to change the rules whenever they want and that is okay? Yeah no thanks. That isnt a good thing to teach anyone

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 2:

highlandmum
by Spunky on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:55 AM
20 moms liked this

I am trying to figure out how a mechanical pencil is a "safety hazard"?

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:56 AM

I am not 100% sure myself. Someone told me that if kids spill the lead that it can make them slip and fall but even that seems like a strech. 

Quoting highlandmum:

I am trying to figure out how a mechanical pencil is a "safety hazard"?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:56 AM

You should teach him that the school determined a punishment for him because something wrong was done .

Instead you're deteremined to teach your son how not to get a life as an adult and just to fight the good fight against the school as an adult.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

So I should teach him that the school is free to change the rules whenever they want and that is okay? Yeah no thanks. That isnt a good thing to teach anyone

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:57 AM
Ya f that non sense.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:57 AM
I did something similar with ds a long time ago and he got a 15 min. Detention because of it. I felt bad, and told him it was an accident. He's 16 now and doesn't even remember.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)