Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sorry principal but DD will NOT be doing Saturday detention

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 204 Replies

DD was tardy to class yesterday. She was about a minute late. She said she was using the restroom and didnt make it to class on time. She has never been late before. Well she said she got a detention. I said that sucks but it will teach her not to be late again

Well when she was giving me the paperwork to sign we noticed the detention was on Saturday from 10am to 11. That is not going to happen. She has games on Saturday. She wont be missing them. 

I called the principal to reschedule it or something. They have after school detention, before school detention, and lunch detention. He said that the teacher set it for Saturday for a reason and that is when she needs to be there. I told him that she had games she could not miss. He more or less said it wasnt his problem. That she needs to be there at saturday at 10 am

I told him sorry but she will NOT be doing saturday detention. She always has games or practice on Saturdays. She is on a competitive team and missing for any reason other than being sick, injured, or an emergency situation is not okay. She could be kicked off the team or not allowed to play in games

He said we cant get out of detention just by saying she cant do it on saturday. I told him I am not trying to get her out of doing detention all the way, just on Saturday. I told him she could even do an hour before and after school one of the days if that would make it so she doesnt have to do saturday. He said no the teacher picked saturday and that is when it will be

I told him we are busy and if he would like her to serve her detention on a different day just to let me know and she will be there. 

I am not sure what happens if she doesnt show up on Saturday consequence wise. I just think he is being so unreasonable. There is no really reason that she cant do it another day except "that isnt what the teacher wanted". 

Many people have plans for the weekend because there is no school. I know a lot of people wouldnt be able to do saturdays so it isnt just us. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2017 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

i wouldn't be okay with saturday detention even if we weren't doing anything... have you talked to the teacher about switching the day??? otherwise she wouldn't show up to detention and we'd have to wait nad see what happened i guess.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 3:16 PM
13 moms liked this

They don't give detentions for being tardy once. 

notuseless
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Call the school board. He is being unreasonable. She should not loose her chance to play a sport for the entire season because a first time offence.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 3:18 PM
4 moms liked this
Oh well she messed up she needs to be there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't allow my kids to have any kind of detention outside of school hours. Never happening and they can't enforce it.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

DD was tardy to class yesterday. She was about a minute late. She said she was using the restroom and didnt make it to class on time. She has never been late before. Well she said she got a detention. I said that sucks but it will teach her not to be late again

Well when she was giving me the paperwork to sign we noticed the detention was on Saturday from 10am to 11. That is not going to happen. She has games on Saturday. She wont be missing them. 

I called the principal to reschedule it or something. They have after school detention, before school detention, and lunch detention. He said that the teacher set it for Saturday for a reason and that is when she needs to be there. I told him that she had games she could not miss. He more or less said it wasnt his problem. That she needs to be there at saturday at 10 am

I told him sorry but she will NOT be doing saturday detention. She always has games or practice on Saturdays. She is on a competitive team and missing for any reason other than being sick, injured, or an emergency situation is not okay. She could be kicked off the team or not allowed to play in games

He said we cant get out of detention just by saying she cant do it on saturday. I told him I am not trying to get her out of doing detention all the way, just on Saturday. I told him she could even do an hour before and after school one of the days if that would make it so she doesnt have to do saturday. He said no the teacher picked saturday and that is when it will be

I told him we are busy and if he would like her to serve her detention on a different day just to let me know and she will be there. 

I am not sure what happens if she doesnt show up on Saturday consequence wise. I just think he is being so unreasonable. There is no really reason that she cant do it another day except "that isnt what the teacher wanted". 

Many people have plans for the weekend because there is no school. I know a lot of people wouldnt be able to do saturdays so it isnt just us. 

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 3:19 PM
My son high school does. They serve detention during lunch.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 3:19 PM
My kid would not serve Saturday detention period. I work every other weekend. In fact when my child did get detention, also for being tardy, I told them what days she could serve it.
Leigh84
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 3:19 PM
If she's not there Saturday, the only thing they can do is reschedule it. My OSS would get Saturday detention, he usually could not make it b/c of work or basketball. They just rescheduled it if he didn't show.
highlandmum
by Spunky on Aug. 23, 2017 at 3:19 PM

They do here.  However Saturday, after school and before school do not happen for our schools it is lunch only.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

jammf
by on Aug. 23, 2017 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't send my kid either, especially KNOWING that they do in fact have before and after school detention.  For me, it wouldn't even matter if we had plans on Saturday, my kid just wouldn't be at school on Saturday, period.

When I was a kid, detention was one hour after school, period.  If a student was given a detention, they had 3 days to serve it.  I don't recall what the consequence was for an unserved detention.  I only ever got two detentions in my life.  There was no serving it before school, or during lunch, and certainly never on a Saturday.  My parents wouldn't have sent me to that either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)