Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm a preschool teacher and I cannot believe the lack of respect I get.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 205 Replies
8 moms liked this
I chose to retire from my career early so that I could travel with my dh when he goes away for work. Our kids are teens, they travel with us or stay home.
After a little while, I got bored with retirement. Even with the kids' crazy schedules, once they both had their licenses and their own vehicles, there wasn't a whole lot for me to be doing.
Anyway, I decided to go back to work but I chose to go to a preschool instead of becoming a public school teacher again.
I've mentioned a couple of times on this site that I'm a preschool teacher and I've been blasted.
I'm NOT a glorified babysitter.
I don't simply wipe noses all day.
I DO teach them.
Why so much disrespect? I know that my situation a way different than my coworkers and that they struggle with the low pay, the high stress, being unappreciated, etc.
Is it that you all feel threatened because we're with your kids 9+ hours a day? Because it's ok. We get it. You work. You support your families. We're working too. Our kids are with other people too while we work. I'm not judging you, why do you judge my choice of career?
Why the competition?
I don't understand why we women can't just support one another nicely.
Yes, I'm a teacher.
No, I'm not a babysitter.
Vent over
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2017 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 11:12 PM
6 moms liked this
Lmao.
Step away from the keyboard because it's just not that serious.
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 11:12 PM

What preschool has kids there for 9+ hours a day?  My kid's preschool was a half day, 3 times a week.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 11:14 PM

I could never be a preschool teacher or a grade school teacher for that matter. I appreciate many teachers but I've also had to deal with seriously shitty ones. That said, like anything, you can't let a few negative experiences decide how to view a profession!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 23, 2017 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I know that.
It means nothing to me.
I was thinking about the young women that I work with. They work so hard and get very little respect for the jobs they do. It's just interesting to me why other women are so disrespectful of each other.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Lmao.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this
It's MC. That's why!

Quoting Anonymous 1: I know that.
It means nothing to me.
I was thinking about the young women that I work with. They work so hard and get very little respect for the jobs they do. It's just interesting to me why other women are so disrespectful of each other.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Lmao.
HOT4TCHR
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 11:15 PM
8 moms liked this

When I hear 9+ hours a day...that's not preschool.  That's daycare.  I believe you're a teacher.  But that's not school.

And yeah...early childhood has ALWAYS been severely misunderstood.

Don't text while driving.

---Janice---

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
For me personally, preschool is such an unnecessary waste of time and money, and it take the responsibility off the parents, where it belongs. I have philosophical objections to young children being farmed out to institutions. Maybe that's not exactly your fault, but I can't extend respect to the position. The job itself makes it too easy for parents to abdicate their role.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 23, 2017 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
It's a full day program.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

What preschool has kids there for 9+ hours a day?  My kid's preschool was a half day, 3 times a week.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 23, 2017 at 11:16 PM
This.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Episkey
by Dra til helvete on Aug. 23, 2017 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this
That's what I was wondering. My elementary school kids are only in school for 6 hours, 9 is a little extreme for school.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)