Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do with these?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
My grandfather died a few months ago. My mom and I have been slowly cleaning out his house. I came across two huge Rubbermaid bins of papers. My mom told me to take them home and look through them and let her know if anything was worth keeping. Turns out the bins are full or recipes that belonged to my grandmother. Some are hand written, some are clipped out of newspapers and magazines.

They're from the 50's up to the late 80's. I've been looking through them and she actually made every one of these recipes. Even the magazine and newspaper clipping ones have notes on them with substitutions and even how much different family members liked them. Some even have exact dates of when she made it. A lot of them are in really bad shape though. I want to take pictures of them and then copy them to make my mom a really nice cookbook. I never met my grandmother but my mom and my uncle are always going on about how amazing her cooking was.

My husband thinks it's a waste of time and I should just give the recipes back to my mom and let her do what she wants with them. What would you do with them? Give them back or make a cookbook?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2017 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Aug. 24, 2017 at 1:13 AM
7 moms liked this
I'd absolutely fucking adore you if you did something like that for me with my mothers recipes. That's such an incredible thing to find.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 24, 2017 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting Ted1242: I'd absolutely fucking adore you if you did something like that for me with my mothers recipes. That's such an incredible thing to find.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 24, 2017 at 1:17 AM

I like your idea. Is your husband aleast such a Debbie downer?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 24, 2017 at 1:17 AM
I would make a cookbook with them. Try to scan the ones you can and rewrite the ones that you can't scan and then scan them so you can save them too. Maybe make a couple books for other relatives (aunts or cousins who knew grandma)
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2017 at 1:21 AM
Those are absolute family treasures. I think it would be AMAZING to digitize it somehow.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 24, 2017 at 1:23 AM
That is an awesome idea. That is something to be treasured! Men don't understand lol
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 24, 2017 at 1:24 AM
Make a cookbook!
peekaboo813
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2017 at 1:26 AM
Make the cook book. I think it would be great to take pictures of the pages and you can make something on shutterfly.com for her they are always having promotions for photo books. What a lovely idea!
tsatske2
by Latricia on Aug. 24, 2017 at 1:27 AM

A cookbook would be the most amazing Christmas gift.

witch45
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2017 at 1:29 AM

I would tell your husband to shut the hell up and make the cookbook for your mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)