Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I adopting an animal the same as adopting a child?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies

According to someone in another post adoption an animal is the same as adopting a child.

What do you think? 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2017 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hart57
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2017 at 1:21 PM
It depends, adopting an animal should be a life long commitment the same as a child. But it takes more money and time to adopt a child. And raising a child is harder than an animal.

I would say not a fair comparison.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 9, 2017 at 1:22 PM
Nope.
So.Much.Love
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2017 at 1:22 PM
No, absolutely not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 9, 2017 at 1:23 PM
Some places sure like to think so. They ask a million questions, look through your home, call for character references, make you sign a contract with a zillion rules on it, and charge an arm and a leg.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 9, 2017 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
No. I can't stand when people say owning a dog is like a child.
kikibix
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2017 at 1:28 PM

Well obviously they are different species.  I just got a kitten, while he is cute he is crazy active and I never get to sit down and relax unless he is put away for the night or I confine him to the bathroom or get someone else to babysit him. My older cat is having a huge problem adjusting to him.  I'm constantly researching on the internet about behaviour and toys and food.  I've spend probably over $700 on him already (so much for a free kitten my dh got sucked into taking).  So yeah, I think in a lot of aspects it's comparable.  Actually I swear my human babies were a lot easier!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 9, 2017 at 1:31 PM

No, adopting an animal is not the same thing as adopting a child.

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2017 at 1:36 PM
Some shelters here make the process seem that way. Home visits, financial checks. One eveb requires recommendations from a vet. I have a friend that just adopted a baby she didn't need to give the agency the nsnevof pedi before she could take the baby but a lot of shelters here require the name of your vet before you bring the animal home.

But it's definitely cheaper and quickier to adopt an animal
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 9, 2017 at 1:37 PM

A dog lives 12 years. A child lives 80. Yeah, pretty similar.

Quoting hart57: It depends, adopting an animal should be a life long commitment the same as a child. But it takes more money and time to adopt a child. And raising a child is harder than an animal.

I would say not a fair comparison.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 9, 2017 at 1:41 PM
You can't adopt one here without a home visit, background check, and number to the vet you will use for the pet. As it should be. Im done with shitty pet owners.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)