Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Online homework for 1st grade

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 291 Replies
This annoys me so much. DSs teacher sent home a letter stating that the students need to go online on a a specific website to do their homework each night. It mandatory that they go online nightly and complete assignments.

It just isn't fair. Not everyone has a home computer. Right now, we don't have one. My toddler broke the screen of my laptop a few months ago. I don't have the extra money for a new laptop at the moment and the nearest library is over a half hour away. How does this teacher expect DS to get his homework done?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2017 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WildWonder
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2017 at 11:15 AM
7 moms liked this
You should talk with the teacher. Usually they will make accommodations for kids who don't have access to a computer at home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 12, 2017 at 11:17 AM
I don't like online homework either, even for older kids. Kids get enough screen time as it is. Teachers like it because it saves them time of copying and grading assignments themselves.
Carmel63
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2017 at 11:17 AM
4 moms liked this
I am surprised that you are surprised that access to a computer and internet is expected by schools. You are an adult, so figure it out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 12, 2017 at 11:17 AM
4 moms liked this

How are you accessing CM right now? Smartphone? Use it for now to get your child's homework done, or a tablet if you have one to use.    By the time your child is in Middle School (if not before) most text books will be ebooks accessed online, most parent teacher interaction will happen online, school calendars will be online, most everything will be accessed online. Start preparing now.

Myself and others have been saying on here for years now that having a computer and internet access is a must for a child's educational needs. Especially if you don't live near a public library. Computers and internet access are a school supply now that most children need at some point and will be required to have by another.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2017 at 11:19 AM
Kind of hard to figure out how to buy a new computer when I'm strapped for cash. My car needed more work than was expected and the work couldn't be put off because it needed to pass inspection.

Quoting Carmel63: I am surprised that you are surprised that access to a computer and internet is expected by schools. You are an adult, so figure it out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2017 at 11:21 AM
The website doesn't work on my phone. They need to use Microsoft Word too.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

How are you accessing CM right now? Smartphone? Use it for now to get your child's homework done, or a tablet if you have one to use.    By the time your child is in Middle School (if not before) most text books will be ebooks accessed online, most parent teacher interaction will happen online, school calendars will be online, most everything will be accessed online. Start preparing now.

Myself and others have been saying on here for years now that having a computer and internet access is a must for a child's educational needs. Especially if you don't live near a public library. Computers and internet access are a school supply now that most children need at some point and will be required to have by another.

Cajunqueenslsg8
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2017 at 11:21 AM
Walmart has tablets for 50 dollars.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 12, 2017 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Ironic! You're online at the moment yet you can't figure out how to get your kids homework done.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2017 at 11:22 AM
I doubt we're the only family that doesn't have a home computer. I remember when I was in school that our assignments were on paper.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Oh so it would have been fine if your laptop screen did not get broken & now you need special accommodations made for you.lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2017 at 11:23 AM
An old smart phone doesn't help. He needs to use Word. The website doesn't work on my phone.

Quoting Anonymous 5: Ironic! You're online at the moment yet you can't figure out how to get your kids homework done.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)