Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School cell phone policy

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2017 at 11:55 AM
  • 301 Replies
Oldest Dd is in high school. School policy is that cell phones should be off and in their backpacks. If a phone is heard or even seen, even if it's off, it will be confiscated and parents will be notified. This includes lunch and study hall.

Some parents are up in arms about this because apparently their kids need to use their phone while in school. So now several of them want to have a meeting with the principal about this which I think is ridiculous.

Does your kids' school have a similar policy?
by on Sep. 13, 2017 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrickettyBoo
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 11:57 AM
Bump
kourtniebraun
by Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 11:58 AM
10 moms liked this

What need could they posibly have during the school day?  If there is an emergency, the school has a landline phone they can use and I'm quite sure the teachers have phones to use in an emergency as well.

mrs.hummus
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 11:58 AM
10 moms liked this
They don't need their phones during school hours. Those people are raising self entitled brats.
cutebaby06
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 11:59 AM
Yes.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 11:59 AM
3 moms liked this
In high school they can have them on and with them all day. Must be silent during class but able to use during managed time or lunch.
TrashCanCrouch
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:00 PM
My dd has been texting me all day from school. I was like are you not in class? She's like ya but everyone else is on their phones and we're watching Jurassic Park, she was also on the couch..
I don't think they have any policies for cell use. Lol
inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter is in middle school.. they ask that children not bring phones to school.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:00 PM
Our high school had a 'no in class' policy. They could use them at lunch or between classes but the minute the crossed a door to classroom they had to be put away, some teachers weren't as strict about it though. It's worked well, they found a happy medium.

I should add that they can go odd campus for lunch so no matter what kids would be using them during that time frame.
TrashCanCrouch
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that's the normal for policies. My dd is always on hers, texting me or on FB or instagram. But they are super laxed I do t think they really care. Lol

Quoting fullxbusymom: In high school they can have them on and with them all day. Must be silent during class but able to use during managed time or lunch.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:02 PM
No they don't and I'm glad. I literally just got done texting with my daughter because the school mistakenly had her down as absent. There are many days when she needs to ask me a question or tell me something during the day, and vice versa. I'd be unhappy if I could not get ahold of her when needed. That's why she has a phone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)