Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No, I don't really want to hang around your recovering alcoholic friend

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:05 PM
  • 181 Replies
1 mom liked this
DH and I have a couple we are friends with. I had brought up hanging out Saturday night at their house (they usually prefer to hang out at their house) while the kids chill and watch a movie and the adults usually go hang out downstairs or in the kitchen or on the porch etc. We normally will drink during these get togethers. Some cocktails or some shots or some wine, etc. We don't get hammered but we do have a few drinks. No big deal.

Well she mentioned to me that her friend that just got out of rehab is staying with them for awhile and they promised her that they would not have any sort of alcohol around her during this time.

well.............I don't know this person. I don't care to be told I can't have a glass of wine or whatever by anyone. So that already kinda killed it for me. She said she works third shift and we can drink after she leaves the house but that would be like 9 -10 o clock and we would be going home about midnight so no time to drink and then sober up before driving home. Whereas if we have a drink at 7 or 8 plenty of time to sober up by midnight.

So I am kinda out at this point. What is a polite way to say "I don't care to hang around a recovering alcoholic I don't even know if it means I can't drink whatsoever"?

I am going to suggest we come to my house then or something. I am just not feeling this.
by on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:11 PM
12 moms liked this
You come across as horrible in this story. There is no way for you not to come out of this looking like a complete ass.
Dinimon
by NoName on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:13 PM
2 moms liked this
Simple. Make different arrangements or don't go.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:13 PM
25 moms liked this
I can't get past "sobering up" after drinking for a few hours and driving...WITH YOUR KIDS IN THE CAR!!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:15 PM
9 moms liked this
Either meet somewhere else or don't drink. If drinking is really more important than your friendship, that's super sad. You don't look good here.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Ugh, I wouldn't either. I would say, damn, I was really looking forward to drinks, let's reschedule. 

Sans-Equanimity
by Closet Optimist on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:21 PM
5 moms liked this
Just make an excuse to cancel. No need to be an ass. They don't need to know the real reason.

Personally, if you said that to me then I probably wouldn't want to be your friend anymore. You don't come off well at all.
hart57
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:23 PM
10 moms liked this
This.

If you can't enjoy an evening with out alcohol, their is something wrong with you.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I can't get past "sobering up" after drinking for a few hours and driving...WITH YOUR KIDS IN THE CAR!!!!
monkeydavis05
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Just suggest they come to your house

lowencope
by ❤️Lucy 💋 on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this
Enjoy an alcohol free evening?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:26 PM
4 moms liked this

i agree. i think at some point in one's life, they need to be able to do things that don't involve alcohol. soemtimes you just suck it up and not drink even if that's not your "normal". even if you just drink occasionally and you were looking forward to it, i get it, but it's not going to work out to drink this time there so either suck it up and not drink or invite your friends to your house or cancel and say you need to reschedule.

Quoting hart57: This. If you can't enjoy an evening with out alcohol, their is something wrong with you.
Quoting Anonymous 2: I can't get past "sobering up" after drinking for a few hours and driving...WITH YOUR KIDS IN THE CAR!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)