Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No, I don't really want to hang around your recovering alcoholic friend

Posted by   + Show Post
DH and I have a couple we are friends with. I had brought up hanging out Saturday night at their house (they usually prefer to hang out at their house) while the kids chill and watch a movie and the adults usually go hang out downstairs or in the kitchen or on the porch etc. We normally will drink during these get togethers. Some cocktails or some shots or some wine, etc. We don't get hammered but we do have a few drinks. No big deal.

Well she mentioned to me that her friend that just got out of rehab is staying with them for awhile and they promised her that they would not have any sort of alcohol around her during this time.

well.............I don't know this person. I don't care to be told I can't have a glass of wine or whatever by anyone. So that already kinda killed it for me. She said she works third shift and we can drink after she leaves the house but that would be like 9 -10 o clock and we would be going home about midnight so no time to drink and then sober up before driving home. Whereas if we have a drink at 7 or 8 plenty of time to sober up by midnight.

So I am kinda out at this point. What is a polite way to say "I don't care to hang around a recovering alcoholic I don't even know if it means I can't drink whatsoever"?

I am going to suggest we come to my house then or something. I am just not feeling this.
by on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:05 PM
Replies (181-181):
LaughinTattoo7
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2017 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess Ill be the odd one out and agree with you. I dont deal well being told how Im supposed to behave and what I am to do. But since its her house....she can make the rules she wants. I wouldnt say a word until the night before, and then I would only politely back out. I dont want to hurt peoples feelings but I want to enjoy my evening how I please.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)