Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We went from nothing to holy crap!

Posted by   + Show Post
Dd 12 has been having issues with certain foods. Mostly melons, bananas and apples. So we asked her doctor to do another allergy test. Her last one was four years ago and it showed a class 3 allergy to walnuts. Well she's allergic to melons, bananas and apples. However it's not just those. It's peanuts, walnuts, almonds, hazelnut, sesame seeds, soy bean and wheat.

We've gotten a good start on finding somethings she can eat. We got rice flour for bread. Gluten free pizza, pop tarts, waffles, noodles and cereal. Soy free ranch and mayo. I've got recipes for other things to make for her. We found tons of stuff she can have at brookshires and some at Wal-Mart. We even found Sun butter to replace peanut butter.

Anyone else have any suggestions? My youngest dd10 has sucrose intolerance so we've dealt with limiting diet. However that's simple compared to the list we have now.
by on Sep. 13, 2017 at 7:33 PM
Replies (11-20):
texasma06
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2017 at 12:20 AM
Yeah. She's not enjoying it. She's used to helping her sister avoid sugar. She's not used to looking for herself. I'm thankful she's 12 instead of 2 but either way this seriously sucks for her.

Quoting tklrcl2014:

Poor kid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 14, 2017 at 12:21 AM

bump

texasma06
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2017 at 12:23 AM
Getting her to eat anything that's a vegetable is like pulling teeth. I'm calling tomorrow to get her an appointment with her sisters nutritionist to give us ideas and help us catch what we haven't thought of yet. It's going to be fun changing her diet.

Quoting Anonymous 4: That sucks. Only suggestion is whole foods. Try to get her hooked on cooked carrots, grilled cauliflower, stuffed peppers, lots of different kinds of meats.
meliec3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2017 at 3:42 AM
Some of the Brookshires carry a gluten free bread called Rudi's. It will be in the bakery in the freezer case where the have the cakes and pies. Also, if you're close to a Super 1 check there as well. They carry stuff that Brookshires doesn't.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 14, 2017 at 3:46 AM
I'm very sorry. A good friend has a daughter with extreme allergies, she is down to about 5 foods she can eat, and one of those is basically a formula just to sustain her, she is 6 and very thin and small.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 14, 2017 at 3:53 AM
Honestly it's easier for a two year old to adjust to a new diet. When you're 12 you have a dilemma because I've always ate these foods. Why do I have to change it now.
I have a lot of food allergies. I hate it. I eat meat, beans, rice. Meat and potatoes. And salad. I can have dairy thank goodness.

Quoting texasma06: Yeah. She's not enjoying it. She's used to helping her sister avoid sugar. She's not used to looking for herself. I'm thankful she's 12 instead of 2 but either way this seriously sucks for her.

Quoting tklrcl2014:

Poor kid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Sep. 14, 2017 at 4:03 AM
Heads up. Gluten free is NOT the same as wheat free. I learned that the hard way.

https://www.wheat-free.org/does-gluten-free-mean-it-is-always-wheat-free.html
texasma06
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2017 at 6:55 AM
Thank you. I didn't know that. I'll make sure to keep a close eye on it.

Quoting Anonymous 8: Heads up. Gluten free is NOT the same as wheat free. I learned that the hard way.

https://www.wheat-free.org/does-gluten-free-mean-it-is-always-wheat-free.html
texasma06
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2017 at 7:05 AM
No we aren't vegan.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Let me guess your vegan too? I'd prefer to just eliminate those things and eat normally other foods. I'm not big on substitute items they're gross to me.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Sep. 14, 2017 at 7:07 AM
Feed her real Whole Foods and you won't have issues....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)