Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who should keep the house?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Unmarried couple living together for 3 years. She has a child from a previous relationship who lives in the home full time. They have no children together. They rent the home. He makes more money and can afford the house alone. They both work full time. She would need to get a better paying job or a second job to afford it. Neither wants to leave. Most of the furniture and appliances belong to her except the master bed, couch, and tv in the living room. He pays most of the bills, she covers cable/internet, phones, groceries and miscellaneous household items. He pays rent and utilities.

Should he get to stay since he is proven to be able to afford it? Or should she be given a chance to stay with her child? Both names are on the lease.

This is a couple I know. I'm not saying whose side I'm on, I tried to be as unbiased as possible with this scenario.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 16, 2017 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 16, 2017 at 12:06 PM
She can't afford the home on her own. Why is her retaining the home even a question?
knoxmomof2
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 12:07 PM
Unless there's some court provision for this : When it comes down to it, it's about who can afford it- not who "deserves" it or whatever. Especially considering that it's a rental. It sounds like he can afford it and she can't. The landlord isn't going to care that they split, they will just want their money.
thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 12:12 PM
Silly to fight for something she can't afford
mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Sep. 16, 2017 at 12:13 PM
If she can't afford it then why would she stay?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 16, 2017 at 12:16 PM
The person who can afford it.
STVUstudent
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 12:16 PM

If she can't afford it, she needs to move into a cheaper place.  Sounds pretty simple to me.  Kids move all the time, he/she will adjust.

Maddogsmommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 12:18 PM
This. She needs to move out, take her furniture, and get an affordable apartment.

Quoting Anonymous 2: She can't afford the home on her own. Why is her retaining the home even a question?
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 16, 2017 at 12:20 PM

She should move out to an apartment with ALL of her furniture to a place she can afford

quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

noone 'keeps' the house.its a rental.

andreamarie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 12:26 PM
Since they are splitting and causing drama.
It looks like a battlé.
Its not really their house. The land lord can work around that as being a neighborhood nuisance and ask them both to leave.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)