Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you put yourself at risk to help this woman?

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2017 at 2:53 PM
  • 71 Replies

So last night my FIL was driving his girlfriend home from his house. As they turn the corner of his property(he lives on a 70 acre farm), they see a woman flagging them down. He said she was covered in blood, had her face beaten in, and was crying and screaming. She told them that her husband had done this to her and that he was crazy and had chased her. They called an ambulance but then LEFT HER on the road. He said they got maybe 200 yards further up the road when this man flagged them down and when they stopped they realized he had blood on his clothes and was carrying a knife and started threatening them- they drove off and his gf called the police back. Well they got up to the other corner of the property and looked back to see this man dragging the woman across FILs field. So FIL stops in at the neighbors(who was about a mile away) who was an MP(military police) and leaves his gf at their house so he can go unlock the gates to let the cops and neighbor in. The MP and her husband were able to locate them and detain the man until the police got there and the woman is alive but has severe lacerations on her face. 

My question is- WHY the hell would you not stay with the woman until help arrived? Why would you not turn around and pull her into the car when you realized her crazy ex husband was coming after her? Why wouldn't you chase after them when you saw him dragging her across your property?  

What would you have done? Would you have left it up to the police or would you have intervened? It almost made me angry at FIL for not doing something more. I grew up with an abusive father and step-father and so maybe I'm looking at it from a personal stand point but how could you not try to save that woman? He could have killed her before the police got there. 

by on Sep. 16, 2017 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 16, 2017 at 2:57 PM
4 moms liked this
He could have killed FIL, too. I get him not wanting to be put in harms ways. He called the authorities.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Sep. 16, 2017 at 2:58 PM
8 moms liked this
I wouldn't have left a bloody hysterical woman alone on the side of the road. I'd have immediately called 911.

If she didn't come off as a threat to me, I'd let her sit in the car with me while we wait on the cops. If I wasn't sure she wasn't a threat, I'd wait still wait until the cops showed, but I wouldn't let her my car.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 16, 2017 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
My husband wouldn't have just stood by. It would have been terrifying to me but he would have gotten involved right away.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 16, 2017 at 3:00 PM
17 moms liked this

I would have put her in the car and ran over her fucking husband on the way to the ER with her

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 16, 2017 at 3:01 PM

I wouldn't have left her, that's for sure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 16, 2017 at 3:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Your FIL is a selfish cowardly man.
Tinse
by Crazy Bird Lady on Sep. 16, 2017 at 3:02 PM

This.

Quoting Anonymous 1: He could have killed FIL, too. I get him not wanting to be put in harms ways. He called the authorities.

Starz6802
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 3:03 PM
3 moms liked this
Im pretty sure I'd let her in my car and take off. I might think twice if my kids are with me. Then I might regret letting them think it's ok to ignore someone who needs help. I'm going with I'd let her in my car and take off like a bat out of hell.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 16, 2017 at 3:04 PM
2 moms liked this
I would have left her there too. I'm not putting myself and my kids at risk. I wouldn't give someone like that a reason to seek me out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 16, 2017 at 3:05 PM
He called 911. He got help from an MP, located them, and detained the man until authorities arrived. What more is OP expecting him to do?

Quoting Tinse:

This.

Quoting Anonymous 1: He could have killed FIL, too. I get him not wanting to be put in harms ways. He called the authorities.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)