Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support when dh isn't working

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 77 Replies
I'm sure I'm going to get ripped to shreds by the ladies that think dh should just continue to work and who cares if we can't make ends meet. But for the others I'd like some advice.

Dh's job takes him overseas for 3-6 weeks at a time. He comes home and maybe stays 2 weeks before leaving again

He's miserable but more than just that he's not being paid on time or sometimes at all and even though expenses are supposed to be paid by the company they aren't doing it.

What it means is that we actually spend more money keeping him in his job than he brings in when it's all said and done.

We can't live like that any longer.

So dh is contemplating quitting because now his boss has told him his choice is to move to a new country or quit. My job is steady and actually pays me on time so I can not let it go nor would it be a good idea to move to a foreign country without a steady income.

We also can't afford to support dh in another county where he would be responsible for his apartment and all the expenses that go along with it including cab rides and cell phone.

So he's going to quit.

We do have money in savings though not as much as I'd like because we've had to use it to cover expenses for the last 6 months, one being child support.

And yes dh will file with the state to try to recoup his money but even though he will win it doesn't mean he will actually collect the money.

Now onto my question.

Dh was ordered to pay a small amount years ago when they divorced. Whenever he got a raise he paid her more, that's the agreement they had and it's worked fine for the last 10 years.

If he quits we could give her 25% of my salary while he looks for another job, and hopefully he will find something quickly.

The 25% would be half of what she gets now.

She isn't going to be happy. Not in the least, and yes she can take it to court and there is a chance she would be awarded a different amount than what is actually listed but at the same time because of the circumstances I imagine the judge won't throw the book at dh.

Do you think it's fair to offer her 25% of my salary until he finds a job? We imagine 1-2 months at the lower amount before he finds another job. And once he gets his first paycheck it will go back to 25% of his salary, whatever amount it would be.

We also do not want to deal with back child support, so it wouldn't be a situation where we give her X amount with the promise she will get extra once he starts working again.

My logic is if they were living with us we would have to cut expenses while dh isn't working. It doesn't mean when he gets a new job I'm going to hand the kids money to make up for the last month or two when we had to be careful.

Does that seem fair? Once again I know she could take it to court but honestly based on our situation I don't see the judge being a jerk about it. He's not purposely quitting to avoid child support, he's quitting so that he doesn't have to move to a foreign country and risk not getting paid. And we are offering her something, we aren't just not going to give her money.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 16, 2017 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ejkdmom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 5:32 PM
How much is he ordered to pay, how much does he pay, and how many kids?
LaughinTattoo7
by Frenchy on Sep. 16, 2017 at 5:32 PM

How much is 25% and where does she live?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 16, 2017 at 5:33 PM
Oh well!!
Kyndall30
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 5:35 PM
It sounds like a fair, temporary solution.

Why in God's name did your husband stay at such a shady company, knowing he may or may not be paid each pay period???
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 16, 2017 at 5:35 PM
He's ordered to pay 500

He pays her 1800 now

We want to pay 900 temporarily

They have two children, both teens.

Quoting ejkdmom: How much is he ordered to pay, how much does he pay, and how many kids?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 16, 2017 at 5:35 PM
Because his boss kept promising him it would get better. And dh was hopeful it would. He's finally realized that's not going to happen.

Quoting Kyndall30: It sounds like a fair, temporary solution.

Why in God's name did your husband stay at such a shady company, knowing he may or may not be paid each pay period???
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 16, 2017 at 5:36 PM
900 for two teens.

She lives in Idaho.

Quoting LaughinTattoo7:

ilovemykids323
by on Sep. 16, 2017 at 5:36 PM

i think it would depend upon what hte actually dollar amount is.  hope he finds a job relativly fast (not because of the child support just because)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 16, 2017 at 5:37 PM
I can't give my opinion about the fairness without more details. How much does he usually pay and how much would CS payment be on your plan?
ilovemykids323
by on Sep. 16, 2017 at 5:37 PM

yeah 900 is a lot that seems fair to me.

Quoting Anonymous 1: 900 for two teens. She lives in Idaho.
Quoting LaughinTattoo7:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)