Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any furniture restore mom's here? Need ideas please!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

Mobile Photo

I just bought this. I want to paint it for my 14 yr old dd's room. She has a twin daybed that's quite juvenile. She hasn't liked anything she's seen new so when I saw this for sale I pictured it in her room. It's full size. I planned to paint her room a pale gray but I'm open to other ideas. I tried Pinterest but no matter what I type in I'm not getting what I'm looking for. Dd likes blue,black and grey and she's into simplicity, nothing too trendy or frou frou. For example, she doesn't like the popular Paris themes, or bohemian chic. Help me come up with some ideas for her room. Recently and to my surprise, she showed interest in a framed hobby lobby piece that featured 3 paintbrush strokes in shades of teal. Not something I would think she would like. Show me your ideas please!
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 16, 2017 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 16, 2017 at 6:27 PM
I did my daughters room in gold, white, teal, gray, and black. Sanded the headboard and spray painted it glitter gold. Spray painted the outlet and light switch covers glitter gold. Spray painted the light fixture with clear and gold glitter. Bedding was white with gold hearts and a teal comforter set. Did accent pillows and rugs in pandas, white, gold, and gray.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 16, 2017 at 6:33 PM
Take her to Lowe's or home depot and let her pick colors she's like.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 16, 2017 at 6:33 PM
I am having a hard time picturing that. I'm really bad at that lol!

Quoting Anonymous 2: I did my daughters room in gold, white, teal, gray, and black. Sanded the headboard and spray painted it glitter gold. Spray painted the outlet and light switch covers glitter gold. Spray painted the light fixture with clear and gold glitter. Bedding was white with gold hearts and a teal comforter set. Did accent pillows and rugs in pandas, white, gold, and gray.
PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 6:37 PM

I wouldn't paint it.  I'd sand it down and stain it again if it needed it.  If you paint it, she'll outgrow it.  Leave it stained and it will go with any color you paint on the wall and she can take the frame with her when she moves out in a few years.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 16, 2017 at 6:37 PM
What is it with people putting paint on antiques? That shabby chic look is more like shabby shit.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Paint the walls a medium grey. You could strip and stain or paint the bed a flat black. You could use the teal in her bedding curtains and art. I will post some pics
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 6:38 PM

Mobile Photo

lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 6:41 PM

Mobile Photo

You could use cream bedding and teall pillows
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 6:48 PM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

If you wanted to go a little funky you could paint her dresser / chest of drawers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 16, 2017 at 6:48 PM
I actually thought about black but was worried it would be too dark. Her room is really a blank canvas right now. Walls are white, trim is white and the carpet is some kind of neutral beigy color that I plan to replace eventually.

Quoting lucky2Beeme: Paint the walls a medium grey. You could strip and stain or paint the bed a flat black. You could use the teal in her bedding curtains and art. I will post some pics
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)