Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just because you are the father doesnt mean you get a say in the name...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 133 Replies

When I told my now ex boyfriend that I was pregnant he freaked out, told me he would pay for an abortion, and if not we were over. 

Well there was no way I was having an abortion. I was about 7 weeks pregnant so he said an abortion is no big deal. I didnt see it that way. I have no problem with abortion but for me it would be a huge deal. He even tried to force me into the car but grabbing me and picking me up to take me to the abortion clinic. I told him to let me go or I was calling the police. That was the last time I spoke to him. 

Well now i am 39 and a half weeks pregnant. I am so ready to have this baby. My ex came up to me at the store. He said I looked huge and asked when I was going to be having the baby. I told him soon. Then he said that he was thinking of "Steve Jr" for a boy or Vanessa for a girl. 

I told him I already have a name picked out. At this point I was trying to buy my stuff and get to my car. 

He said that i could use the name I wanted as a middle name. I seriously almost laughed. I said no thanks. I told him that I was in a rush and didnt want to talk to him. 

Well later he messaged me on facebook about the names again. I ignored him at first but then he started calling me. 

I was tired of it so I answered. I told him that I already had everything ready for the baby and didnt need his help. That he cant not talk to me pretty much my whole pregnancy and then think he has a say in anything. He said "but I'm the father" and I told him that that didnt matter. I dont want or need his help and I would be shocked if he didnt take off again within the week. I told him not to keep contacting me. He said its fine he just wouldnt sign to approve of the name at the hospital. I just hung up

He isnt going to be at the hospital. He doesnt need to sign to approve of the name. I am not even putting him on the birth certificate. 

He lost his job since we broke up so I know he has no money. There is no way he is going to try and fight me in court. He hates kids. I think he just wanted to leave "his mark" so he can pretend like his opinion matters 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2017 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 17, 2017 at 11:57 PM
K.

You going to get CS from him?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 17, 2017 at 11:58 PM

I dont want one penny from him. If it was up to me I would have him sign his rights away but that isnt actually an option 

Quoting Anonymous 2: K. You going to get CS from him?

jedigal
by Member on Sep. 18, 2017 at 12:14 AM
4 moms liked this

Normally I would say dads do get a say in the name, but in this case definitely not. I hope you are able to sever ties with this person. He sounds like a very toxic person.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 18, 2017 at 12:16 AM
2 moms liked this

make sure the hospital knows not to let him in, too

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 18, 2017 at 12:18 AM
Yup. When I read the title I thought this was going to be something different. But he has no right to be naming this child. Congrats and I hope he leaves you alone OP

Quoting jedigal:

Normally I would say dads do get a say in the name, but in this case definitely not. I hope you are able to sever ties with this person. He sounds like a very toxic person.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 18, 2017 at 12:20 AM

Absolutely! He has no rights here at all and you don't need his name on the BC.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 18, 2017 at 12:22 AM
Give security a picture of him to make sure he cant come near you in the hospital Name the child whatever you want with your last name. Do not tell him or anyone that he knows the childs real name or the exact birth date. This way he cant even file for paternity
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 18, 2017 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this
If his name isn't on the birth certificate he won't have any rights.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I dont want one penny from him. If it was up to me I would have him sign his rights away but that isnt actually an option 

Quoting Anonymous 2: K.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Sep. 18, 2017 at 12:26 AM
Just don't rely on taxpayers money to prove a point.

If you can afford the child without his help or government assistance, more power to you.

Otherwise, take him to court.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 2: K.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 18, 2017 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this

He could fight for them though. If I could have him sign his rights over 100% for good I would be all for it 

Quoting Anonymous 7: If his name isn't on the birth certificate he won't have any rights.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 2: K. You going to get CS from him?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)