Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do people put TVs in their children's rooms?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Lazy parenting in my opinion. Kids don't need a TV in their room. Get them some books instead. Encourage them to draw or read instead of plopping down in front of a boob tube.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 18, 2017 at 8:11 AM
Replies (281-285):
sjump25
by on Sep. 19, 2017 at 10:16 AM

I think it's ridiculous for kids to have a tv in their room so mine don't.  I don't think it's lazy parenting though.  

MissyB2275
by Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 2:53 PM

My kids have tvs in their rooms but they don't watch them at night when it is time for bed.  They don't watch much tv really but when they want to watch cartoons or whatever they will watch it in their rooms.  I am so beyond watching cartoons anymore and honestly usually my 10 yr old daughter mainly watches her tv when she has a sleepover and her and her friend will watch a kids movie in her room.  Doesn't mean I am lazy. 

Rooobeee
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, my kids grew up with a TV in their rooms. And the only limit I put on them was no TV while doing homework. But that didn't stop them from reading and drawing either. My oldest daughter loves to read and draw, and she's now in art school earning get Bachelor's degree in animation. My youngest daughter also loves to read and draw, and she's currently taking an AP art class in high school. She's also going into art school after she graduates this year. She'll be earning her Bachelor's in graphic arts.

So you see, not every kid who grows up with a TV in their room is a mess, and it also doesn't mean that I was a lazy parent either.
karen2112
by on Sep. 20, 2017 at 11:46 AM

Maybe you shouldn't pass judgement on other moms. 

dianepix
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2017 at 2:16 PM

My daughter has a TV in her room, but it's only hooked up to a DVD player for movies. She is also an avid reader and devours every book she can get her hands on. Doesn't make me a lazy parent - It's just another form of entertainment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)