Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can they fire me if I dont give the money back?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 164 Replies

Last week the company sent out bonuses to many people. This morning they sat us all down and said that they needed the bonuses back. That they jumped the gun and shouldnt have given the bonuses at that time. They are wanting every one to give the money back 

The problem is that i spent a good portion of it. There is no way I could pay the full amount back. I dont get paid again until the 1st and while I do have some of my own spending money left over from my paycheck I am not going to leave myself broke to pay it back. One of my coworkers recommended just using my savings to do it. No way am I going to take savings out because they fucked up

The rumor is that they are going to fire people who dont pay it back. Is that even a fireable offense? 

I do have an employment contract and it says I am supposed to have 5 write ups before I am fired OR you can be fired for a "serious offense". IDK if this would count

I guess I am just worried. If I had known that they were going to want the money back I wouldnt have touched it but I just thought it was a bonus like normal. 

I think the whole thing is fucked up. I think it is sad that they are actually asking for the money back. They say next month they will give it back but the whole thing is weird. It has never happened before and as far as anyone knows the company is doing well. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 18, 2017 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughCryLive
by Emerald Member on Sep. 18, 2017 at 9:43 AM
11 moms liked this
I'd be contacting a lawyer.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 18, 2017 at 9:44 AM
3 moms liked this
They can't fire you, but they can declare the bonus an advance and withdraw from your subsequent checks.
Miss_Sheila
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2017 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
No dont give it back. That was very unprofessional of them
Crafty_Girl
by on Sep. 18, 2017 at 9:45 AM
5 moms liked this
Wow, what kind of jacked up company do you work for that can make that kind of error with their finances? I'd be looking for somewhere else to work - that place sounds very sketchy.

How much was bonus, if I may ask?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 18, 2017 at 9:45 AM

Really? How is that legal?

Quoting Anonymous 2: They can't fire you, but they can declare the bonus an advance and withdraw from your subsequent checks.

thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Sep. 18, 2017 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you explain ed that you've already spent it? Our bonuses are taxed, was yours?
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2017 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

This is one I've never even heard of! Dang! I'd be looking for a new job, that just seems shady. Especially that they gave it, want it back and plan to give it again next month.

Not to mention it will seriously screw up their taxes, do they expect you to write a net check back to the company?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 18, 2017 at 9:46 AM

It is a good, well known company (no I wont say the name) and I have worked here for 15 years with no issue. Nothing like this has ever happened before. 

$12,000 was the amount of my bonus 

Quoting Crafty_Girl: Wow, what kind of jacked up company do you work for that can make that kind of error with their finances? I'd be looking for somewhere else to work - that place sounds very sketchy. How much was bonus, if I may ask?

PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Sep. 18, 2017 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

What is their reason, other than this "gun" they jumped, for taking these bonuses back? The real reason?

If you have a contract and it states very clearly the steps the company must follow in order to fire you, then they should be mandated to follow those steps.

Given that this company apparently can flip-flop, I'd still consult with a lawyer in the event they attempt to follow through with terminations for not giving the money back.

Bottom-line, and depending on how much this bonus was, I'd do what I could to ensure I have the money to replace that bonus....and I'd start looking elsewhere for a job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 18, 2017 at 9:47 AM

Yeah it was taxed. I havent really talked to my boss or upper management about it because I'm worried

Quoting thenameshailie: Have you explain ed that you've already spent it? Our bonuses are taxed, was yours?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)