Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She is mad that I got into nursing school and she didnt.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

My sister has always wanted to be a nurse. I used to want to be a vet. It was my dream to go to vet school but after applying 2 years in a row and not being able to get in (even with a 4.0 GPA and tons of hours working in a vet clinic) I decided that I had to figure something else out. I was working for just above min wage at a grocery store but that isnt what I want

I thought about being a medical transriptionist but it wasnt hands on enough. I knew I wanted to help save lives and I love the whole medical aspect of things. I thought about being a vet tech but they are paid shit and never treated right (I have many vet tech friends) 

DH asked why I dont just consider nursing school. I had thought about it a few times in the past but there was always a long wait list and I just wasnt into waiting years for it. 

Well then my sister brought up nursing school. She also mentioned that they dont have a waitlist anymore (they use a ranking system). I thought long and hard about it and I thought that I would really enjoy nursing. Plus it would allow me to have a good and stable job. In the future I might still try for vet school again but I think nursing would also make me happy. 

We both applied to the same schools. I got in to all of them, my sister didnt get into any of them. She hates me now. She says I stole her position and her dream. It wasnt like that at all.  It wasnt like i wanted to do it because of her. In fact she didnt even play a role in my decision. 

She has not had any form of schooling after high school except for the 4 classes that are pre reqs. I have an entire bachelors degree. Her GPA wasnt good when it came to pre reqs. That is on her not me. 

I am about to just stop talking to her all together. Just because she has always wanted to be a nurse doesnt mean I cant decide I want to be one also. Nursing is a respectable job and many people are interested in it. 

I am just so sick of hearing it. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:22 PM
I feel like I've read this before.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:23 PM
2 moms liked this
Congrats
Its not your fault that you are the smart one and she is the dumb one
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:25 PM
Eh whatever.

But what school are you deciding to attend.

My daughter wants to go to college for nursing, but is torn between schools.
Geeez17
by Emerald Member on Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:26 PM
Congrats...

Hopefully she will get over how stupid and immature she is being.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:26 PM
You were applying to vet school but working a minimum wage job and thinking about becoming a medical transcriptionist? That makes zero sense.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:26 PM
I didn't know nursing school was something you got into. I always figured you just kind of apply.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:27 PM

It is a local community college that has a dual enrollment program (for a BSN) with a state university in Colorado.

I went with that route because the classes are half the cost and in 2 years I can have my BSN 

Quoting Anonymous 3: Eh whatever. But what school are you deciding to attend. My daughter wants to go to college for nursing, but is torn between schools.

Phoenix_lament
by Fawkes on Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:28 PM
I'm guessing it wouldn't help if you told her she still wouldn't be accepted if there wasn't a single other applicant.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 18, 2017 at 10:28 PM

It depends on the school. Each is different. Many have a waiting list of 2+ years. The one I am going to has a ranking system. They top 45 people got in 

Nursing school is very competitive in some places 

Quoting Anonymous 5: I didn't know nursing school was something you got into. I always figured you just kind of apply.

StarLight23
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Congrats! She is just mad and jealous, and that comes out by 'blaming' you because YOU must be at fault.

That's how she thinks.

Just understand she's mad and jealous, and realize she may not mean everything she says.

I would try and still talk to her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)