Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If people working full time still need food stamps..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

they aren't the one's leeching off the government --

their employers are

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 19, 2017 at 11:08 AM
Replies (611-620):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 138 on Jan. 6, 2018 at 7:39 AM
Look at the forenors coming to our country taking all our jobe and they can still get top dollar amount of food stamps while american familys go unemployed homeless and hungry
Anonymous
by Anonymous 138 on Jan. 6, 2018 at 7:42 AM
We need to take a stand and take back our country and get rid of the boarder jumpers then maybe americans can find jobs a place to live and be able to support their familys
Anonymous
by Anonymous 139 on Jan. 8, 2018 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I work full time and I qualify for FS, not a whole lot but some. My employer is borderline criminally cheap, which is the same anywhere I could go due to outsourcing and having to compete against wages in places like India. No employee has received a pay raise in almost 4 years, our paid lunch was taken away and our ability to work OT has been taken away, as well as time and a half for working holidays was cut down to normal pay, and our *mandatory* vacation days ( which I usually work an 11 hr shift) has been cut to 8 hrs pay instead of the normal 11 hrs that I would have worked. Yet our employee insurance has been going up as well as the cost of living. And on top of all that, Im still required to be on call for outage reasons, and my job also requires I have internet access at my house for remote work I might be needed for, in which they refuse to compensate for. Every year the cost of living goes up, and every year our employer seems to dwindle compensation down here and there. I have been looking for other work, but everywhere I turn its been the same story, low balling SOBs everywhere. I am planning on going back to school, but Im having to catch up on some student loan debt before I can. Its been hell. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 139 on Jan. 8, 2018 at 12:02 PM

Now that is a disgrace! I mean no one should have to need assistance when they are trying their best to keep off the system, but serving/served military people and their families should be the last ones in need due to the sacrifices they have made, which is as big as a sacrifice you can make. Thats disgusting and Im ashamed to see that this is the case. Im not saying anyone should be put on a pedestal, but come on, where is the gratitude? 

Quoting Anonymous 8: We have deployed military personnel whose families qualify for assistance. It's a total disgrace!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 110 on Jan. 10, 2018 at 1:57 AM
Haven't you heard? You're supposed to have a paid off home and enough money in the bank to support your family for 18 years, plus 1 million or so in emergency funds before you have a child.

Quoting Anonymous 136: Really? So I shouldn't have had my kids because I knew a few years down the line someone was going to beat my husband almost to death, he was going to be in the hospital for 6 months, and between taking care if him an my children I was going to be unable to work for a while? Yes we did get food stamps for a while, and as soon as my husband was stable enough I found a job and no longer needed them.

Quoting Anonymous 10: Or maybe they shouldn't have had kids they couldn't afford.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 136 on Jan. 10, 2018 at 7:56 AM
I guess I didn't get the memo, my bad.

Quoting Anonymous 110: Haven't you heard? You're supposed to have a paid off home and enough money in the bank to support your family for 18 years, plus 1 million or so in emergency funds before you have a child.

Quoting Anonymous 136: Really? So I shouldn't have had my kids because I knew a few years down the line someone was going to beat my husband almost to death, he was going to be in the hospital for 6 months, and between taking care if him an my children I was going to be unable to work for a while? Yes we did get food stamps for a while, and as soon as my husband was stable enough I found a job and no longer needed them.

Quoting Anonymous 10: Or maybe they shouldn't have had kids they couldn't afford.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Jan. 10, 2018 at 10:09 AM

That military family needs to have TWO full time working adults,  then there would be no need for welfare.  The SAHM needs to get a job.    Also, when you are just starting out in the military, you are not paid well, therefore you should not have kids yet.   It is that simple.  Also, don't add to your family when you can't afford it.  It is too damn bad you want more than one.    

Quoting Anonymous 133: People who get drafted often take a pay cut. They already have kids. Many military families need food stamps. Why is this hard to understand?
Quoting Anonymous 9: If you want to make this personal it just tells me that you are part of the failure as far as job and education. Since you seem to want to insult me for what ever reason.. I do not know any individuals that went to college and further and are underemployed. But what ever.. I care little of those that do not invest the time into their future and have no pity if they bitch about not being able to afford things when they drop out of HS get prego and by 30 have been married 3 times and have 3 kids by 3 different fathers. But hope things get better for you! Happy new year!
Quoting Anonymous 133: I'm not. You can't grasp basic concepts.
Quoting Anonymous 9: Losers attract losers.. don’t be a loser!
Quoting Anonymous 133: You can't possibly be that thick..
Quoting Anonymous 9: Those men should concentrate on education .. and if they concentrate on important things and use condoms they don’t need to feed all those kids and x gf or wife! And really wives? Lol isn’t it illigal to have more than one?! Lmao!
Quoting Anonymous 133:

Except we have this great thing called a draft, where some men are forced to take that job and still need food stamps to feed their wives and kids.

Quoting Anonymous 9: When people take the job they know how much they are getting an hour... of education or experience is not there.. they should get paid more just because???? Ah, the importance of education!

Charliebaby79
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2018 at 1:10 PM
3 moms liked this

And...cue the brain dead ignorants who will cite lack of education, poor planning and having children as the problem instead of pointing the finger to the actual problem.

People fail to understand that even if everyone went to school or "got some skills," something I get so fucking sick and tired of hearing, these low paying but essential jobs will still need people to fill them. Even if everyone had a degree or some training, we will still need people to make pizzas, stock and check groceries, wait tables, serve coffee, watch children so their parents can work, care for the elderly, sling fries, flip burgers (another thing I get sick of hearing), mop floors, scrub toilets,  fold clothes...all the essential shit we all need to make life happen. You can hate on people who work at the grocery store, but I guarantee you will be looking for them when you walk into the store and the shelves aren't stocked, the place is dirty and there is no one to check and bag your purchases. You all can hate on the restaurant workers, but you will be clamoring for their services when you walk into your favorite restaurant and there is no one to greet and seat you, no one to take your order and no one to prepare your meal. You can call people out for working in home health and child care, but wait until you need someone to watch your children and care for your parents or grandparents.

The bottom line is, employers need to offer a living wage. It is been proven time and again that minimum wage isn't enough to live on. Minimum wage isn't for teenagers working their first jobs; it is literally the lowest employers can legally pay workers. As for having families, no one knows what the future holds. Some of you are making it seem like people are just popping out children when that isn't the case. Most people have children at a time when they can afford it and then hit on hard times later. Are parents supposed to turn in their children to a reparenting center or something? Also, something else to keep in mind: most workers with a degree are working low paying jobs simply because it's all that's available and they need to eat too. Hordes of college grads are waiting tables, serving coffee, checking groceries and folding clothes to make ends meet. With the economy being in the current state it's in, fewer people are retiring, which results in fewer higher paying jobs being available. Most people hit by the recession were unable to find jobs matching their former salaries, so they took what was available to them. I know of Ph.Ds driving cabs and delivering pizzas, master's degrees managing supermarkets and undergrads checking groceries and serving coffee. Going to school, getting an education...a degree isn't going to feed you; it just lets you decide what you want to do to eat. It just gives your more options to decide what you want to do to eat and it's not a guarantee for a high paying job. Then there are jobs like the military, teaching, social worker, probation officer that require degrees but don't pay very well. So the claim that education is key is false.

Instead of blaming hardworking people who are eking out a living at these shitty paying jobs, how about calling out these multibillion dollar corporations that rake in billions in profit but pay shit to their workers? Seems to me that would make more of a difference than blaming those in the trenches. At least they are working.

tebbi2009
by Member on Jan. 12, 2018 at 5:35 PM

Are you hiring? lol

Quoting lukesmom2002: Very true. My employees all make a living wage. I couldn't live with myself is my staff had to choose between food or going to the doctor. I pay well and provide excellent benefits and still make a huge profit. My employees know they won't find what they have with my company anywhere else so turn over is low and they are loyal and work hard. My lowest paid employee makes 60k a year. Which in my area is not bad st all.

Cali-Zona
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 9:08 PM
I don’t think this applies in all cases. I had a friend who said she was looking for a job that paid her more money. But she couldn’t go higher than a certain amount or she wouldn’t qualify for foodstamps anymore.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)