Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If people working full time still need food stamps..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

they aren't the one's leeching off the government --

their employers are

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 19, 2017 at 11:08 AM
Replies (621-630):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 140 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:07 AM

I think it comes down to three things. 

1. They make the choice to go to that job and work. No protest, no rise up, nothing. They make the choice, so as long as people are willing to work for an employer who will exploit them, then it is THEIR fault. Not the company's. 
2. People choose to have children knowing they can not afford them. I lived in Michigan ten years ago and I knew women who lacked health insurance and they had no qualms getting pregnant because Michigan provides health insurance for all pregnant women, for free. Really, the state does not even put cheap co-pays on these women and not all of them are below the poverty line. My cousin has four kids, WIC, food stamps, medicaid on each of them. How is it responsible to have four children when the state can take away their healthcare and food money? How? She knowingly chose to have these children. 
3. People feel entitled to living beyond their means. When we lived in DC, the townhouse next to us had TWELVE people living in it. The only way they family could afford to live in a "safe" area was to have extended family live with them. All of them were legal, white Americans. Their layout was the same as mine and we felt "cramped" but hey, we could afford it. I respected the shit out of that family. 7 adults, 5 kids. None of them had debt, they were planning to buy a larger house in cash in Alexandria but in the meantime, that was how they lived within their means. Most people feel entitled to have their own house, aparentment, etc. It's not your right. If more people chose to live like them, they'd probably be better off. 

Sexymom22
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 1:51 PM

Yes! Exactly!

Quoting rebal: As a restaurant manager, I can't even begin to tell you the amount of well educated degree holders I have hired to wait tables because they couldn't find jobs. I even had one who was a multiple degree holder in biology and physics....yep, you guessed it. He couldn't find a job and waited tables for about three years until he finally did. Education is definitely extremely important, but that degree doesn't guarantee you a nice cushy job that pays well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 141 on Jan. 21, 2018 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Unless you make more than 65k a year, a family of 4 will not survive on money alone with average rent in most states far exceeding $1000 for a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment. There are entire states that 65k a year wouldn't even be doable. Both parents would need to bring in 65k for it to work, it's just about that bad here in Washington state.

I don't get the hate for food stamps honestly. People can't afford to freaking live. You can't have anything good in life if you go to college unless you get some technical or health care degree and earn a lot. Mechanics, sales, hair dressers, they go to college for 2 years and often don't even make 40k by the end of it and they end up owing college debt for the next 10+ years. That prevents them from so much in life. If you need food stamps, who gives a shit, honestly.

Velisity
by on Jan. 21, 2018 at 12:51 AM

You're an idiot.

Quoting Anonymous 140:

I think it comes down to three things. 1. They make the choice to go to that job and work. No protest, no rise up, nothing. They make the choice, so as long as people are willing to work for an employer who will exploit them, then it is THEIR fault. Not the company's. 2. People choose to have children knowing they can not afford them. I lived in Michigan ten years ago and I knew women who lacked health insurance and they had no qualms getting pregnant because Michigan provides health insurance for all pregnant women, for free. Really, the state does not even put cheap co-pays on these women and not all of them are below the poverty line. My cousin has four kids, WIC, food stamps, medicaid on each of them. How is it responsible to have four children when the state can take away their healthcare and food money? How? She knowingly chose to have these children. 3. People feel entitled to living beyond their means. When we lived in DC, the townhouse next to us had TWELVE people living in it. The only way they family could afford to live in a "safe" area was to have extended family live with them. All of them were legal, white Americans. Their layout was the same as mine and we felt "cramped" but hey, we could afford it. I respected the shit out of that family. 7 adults, 5 kids. None of them had debt, they were planning to buy a larger house in cash in Alexandria but in the meantime, that was how they lived within their means. Most people feel entitled to have their own house, aparentment, etc. It's not your right. If more people chose to live like them, they'd probably be better off. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 142 on Jan. 28, 2018 at 12:21 AM

Exactly and if anyone disagrees they just can't deal with the reality of it.  

Nyuki
by on Jan. 29, 2018 at 10:26 AM

Wholeheartedly agree!

lukesmom2002
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2018 at 10:33 AM
Quoting tebbi2009:

Are you hiring? lol

Quoting lukesmom2002: Very true. My employees all make a living wage. I couldn't live with myself is my staff had to choose between food or going to the doctor. I pay well and provide excellent benefits and still make a huge profit. My employees know they won't find what they have with my company anywhere else so turn over is low and they are loyal and work hard.

My lowest paid employee makes 60k a year. Which in my area is not bad st all.

No. If we expand we will but at this point we like the size of our business.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 86 on Feb. 4, 2018 at 7:18 AM
Still doesn't help if they did ! What planet do you live on? Shouldn't doesn't help now , thanks for the enlightenment dillhole!

Quoting Anonymous 10: Or maybe they shouldn't have had kids they couldn't afford.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 143 on Feb. 4, 2018 at 7:38 AM
Fully agree!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 144 on Feb. 10, 2018 at 4:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Let me say this just because someone works full time doesnt mean that they earn enough money to maintain the basics. People are so judgmental about the people who receive goverment assistance. How can you say they should stop having kids they cant afford? Such a ignorant and rude statement. What if this person was raped for many years and had her rapsit children and needed to depend on help? Or if she was in abusive relationship after being a housewife for 15 yearsau adnd now has to start life from the bottom? What if you though you and your partner wree going to build a family together and the spouse bails? what if you lost your job or got ill ? The scenerios can on for days but no matter where you live the cost of living will never match the current pay scale leaving many american to seek assistance. (the minimum wage scale hasnt been changed in almost 15 years) We dont miss that change when its taken out our chekc forreal. We waste so much food already as a country but want to complain about a family who really needs it. Bread and Milk is no longer .25 a loaf and .89 a gallon. To be so selfish to not want to help a family eat is so nasty, and never say never bc anything can happen adn that shoe can easily be on the other foot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)