Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You WILL respect her!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
I overheard my dad talking to my husband. We got married pretty recently.

My dad said "you WILL respect her and if I suspect otherwise I can promise you so regret it."

My dad is not usually like this but for some reason my DH brings this out in his personality.

Anyone else have a dad like this?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 19, 2017 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 5:43 PM
6 moms liked this

It sounds like your dad is picking up on some signals that you aren't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 19, 2017 at 5:44 PM
Your dad needs to back off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 19, 2017 at 5:44 PM
Hopefully he doesn't have a reason to be telling him that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 19, 2017 at 5:45 PM
My dad never had to threaten my husband. He always knew my husband was a good guy.
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 5:45 PM

No.  My parents trusted us to be smart enough to find partners to whom such things would not have to be said.

That said, too many people confuse respect with civility.  We should all be able to expect that othrs will be civil in their dealings with us, but respect has to be earned; it cannot be demanded or forced - that's fear or placation, not respect.  If he didn't respect you before you were married, you shouldn't have married him. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: I overheard my dad talking to my husband. We got married pretty recently. My dad said "you WILL respect her and if I suspect otherwise I can promise you so regret it." My dad is not usually like this but for some reason my DH brings this out in his personality. Anyone else have a dad like this?

~*~ Diamepphyre ~*~

MissTuree
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 5:45 PM
That was my first thought

Quoting corticosteroid:

It sounds like your dad is picking up on some signals that you aren't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 19, 2017 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Not at all. Why does your husband "being this out" in your dad? Are you the one moving to France?
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 19, 2017 at 5:45 PM

Im like that but thankfully my SIL's aren't assholes. IF they were, they would regret hurting my dd's. I've gotten rid of two asshole BF's and will do it again if it becomes necessary.  You should talk to your dad, he may know something that you don't......

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 19, 2017 at 5:46 PM

wow

and you are proud of that?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 19, 2017 at 5:47 PM
I'm thinking it is. She says her husband has done nothing to warrant this behavior but I find that hard to believe

Quoting Anonymous 5: Not at all. Why does your husband "being this out" in your dad? Are you the one moving to France?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)