Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get a good tenant?? Advice Please..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 186 Replies
I am a landlord. I own 2 condos. I had to evict both tenants this month. One was on Housing Assistance and only had to pay $100 a month herself. She's on welfare and food stamps. But would not pay a penny of the rent. Section 8 said she could afford her share of the rent. She chose not to pay me, but she had money for alcohol. Total deadbeat.

The other one works a professional job and gets child support. She drives a Lexus, but stopped paying the rent. Lies and bullshit were all I got. She was a real psycho and I'm glad she's gone. I found out a former male landlord had to get a restraining order against her. 😳 😲She had been evicted before. Why didn't that come up on her credit report????

How do I find a quality tenant? Why are there so many horrible ones? I've used realtors and screened people myself. Any advice from landlords or good tenants would be appreciated. Thanks!
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 19, 2017 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 19, 2017 at 6:00 PM
???
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 19, 2017 at 6:01 PM

It is virtually impossible to rent in my city unless you make 40 times the monthly rent in yearly salary. One year we had to find a new place to live while DH was in school and I had just graduated and didn't have a job yet. We offered to pay an entire year up front and we STILL had trouble finding a place because we did make enough money.

I've always had to provide copies of my bank accounts, at least 2 current pay stubs, and they've run a background and credit check. Again, that's standard in my city.

nmkj
by Emerald Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 6:02 PM
3 moms liked this
Sell one and live in the other because people fucking suck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 19, 2017 at 6:03 PM
I live in the 3rd unit. I'm a single mom and I need the rent to pay the bills. Wtf is wrong w so many people these days?

Quoting nmkj: Sell one and live in the other because people fucking suck.
BatPooCrazy
by <--That I Am on Sep. 19, 2017 at 6:04 PM
3 moms liked this

stop with the section 8 renters, and interview and meet all potiential renters as well as credit and background checks

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 19, 2017 at 6:05 PM
Sorry you're having trouble. I don't have any advice though. I rent a home, we pay the rent on time, actually usually 10 days early since I always pay out of the 2nd paycheck of the month, we pay a landscaper to care for the yard etc..best of luck to you.
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 6:06 PM
2 moms liked this

What kind of neighborhood are your rentals in?  If they're in a desirable area, raise your rent and refuse to accept Section 8/housing vouchers.

nmkj
by Emerald Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 6:06 PM
I honestly don't know. I've rented and I wouldn't dare not pay or not take care of someone's house that u didn't own. It's disgusting that people do that.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I live in the 3rd unit. I'm a single mom and I need the rent to pay the bills. Wtf is wrong w so many people these days?

Quoting nmkj: Sell one and live in the other because people fucking suck.
Dragonblue
by Resident Psychic on Sep. 19, 2017 at 6:06 PM
3 moms liked this
Best advice while they're looking around the house go peek inside their car. Also don't skip on calling prior landlord. The section 8 stigma is just that lots of great section 8 renters. Just don't grab the first person grab the best one. All adults should have jobs and call to make sure they're employed. They're not home wrecking ad much if they are not home as often.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 19, 2017 at 6:07 PM
stop taking Section 8. I used to think oh well they only have to pay a small portion of their rent out of their own pocket so surely I'll get my rent on time. Nope. they are also much more likely to destroy the property and not pay for damages. Look for tenants who are either in the military or in the medical field. I have found that they are typically the best. Even military guys that there's going to be a couple of Roommates they still generally keep the place clean
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)