Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't like my son, I don't KNOW my son

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 78 Replies
We used to get along, we used to be close. Somewhere along the way, I've lost that connection with him.

If he was a random kid, I wouldn't want to hang out with him. He's moody, disrespectful, obnoxious, a huge ego but also very low self esteem.

As his mom, we seem to be butting heads all the time.

Idk what to do to change that. I offer suggestions on things we should do and it's met with attitude and reluctance. I ask him and he wants to play video games with friends only or just hang out with friends only. He's 12.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 19, 2017 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Sep. 19, 2017 at 7:32 PM
12 is a gawd awful age! Give him time, he won't be an ogre forever!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 19, 2017 at 7:33 PM
Sounds like you didn't do your job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 19, 2017 at 7:35 PM
Those Jr High years are bad! Give him time. Mine just started college and he is the most pleasant, helpful and fun to be with kid now. He just invited me for lunch on Friday. I couldn't stand him at times when he was 12-13.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 19, 2017 at 7:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow. Never say you hate your kids. Say I don't like his actions, or his mood.

It makes you sound like a bad parent
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 19, 2017 at 7:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh mama! I have a 16 year old boy, the youngest of my 3 kids, and he's been this way off & on since he was about 12 as well (and so were his older siblings). It's normal.... it sucks. But, I promise you he won't always be so difficult to get along with and there will come a time in the not too distant future when he'll want to spend time with you again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 19, 2017 at 7:37 PM
He's 12. Give him space. Don't allow him to be disrespectful, but dont expect him to want to pal around. He will probably pass through this.
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Sep. 19, 2017 at 7:38 PM
12 is rough. I'm with you there.
zoegirlsmom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 7:39 PM
12 is fucking awful.
jcm3
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 7:39 PM
Good luck .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 19, 2017 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't hate him. I love him but right now, I don't like him and I think it's bc I don't know him. I'm just getting this moody, defiant, man child attitude. like all of a sudden, 11.5 hit and gone is my thoughtful son, gone is his creativity, gone is his eagerness. But maybe he is that way with his friends. I don't like how he acts and behaves towards me.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Wow. Never say you hate your kids. Say I don't like his actions, or his mood.

It makes you sound like a bad parent
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)