Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD not eating at school

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 97 Replies
I was approached today by one of the staff who informed me that my DD (8) hasn't been eating her school meals, she recommended I send a packed lunch, but the thing is, my DD is very picky! She was spoiled to "kid friendly" food when she was in daycare and now she doesn't like to eat anything of substance. I don't cater to her at home, I tell her she either eats or she doesn't. I'm not proud of this but I felt a bit intimidated today. Obviously she only has a limited time in which to eat at school. Would you cave and pack a junk lunch? After a week? After a month? Ever?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 20, 2017 at 6:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 20, 2017 at 6:54 AM
My 17 yr old daughter still doesn't eat at school. She wouldn't eat packed lunch either. I gave up a long time ago. She's tall and thin and healthy. She just chooses to do her eating outside of school hours.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 20, 2017 at 6:55 AM
Nope one meal a day won't kill her, eat it or starve
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 20, 2017 at 6:56 AM
Does she get speech therapy? Have any speech delays? Lots of eating difficulty can be related to that.
Is she a healthy weight?
What foods does she like? If you look for foods that are similar in texture (crunchy, spicy) could you expand her choices.
Thats a LONG day for a little one to not eat.
Honestly, if youre not catering to her and it hasnt improved somethong else may be the issue.
Dental problems? Oral motor delays?
My childs teeth actually dont meet. When he bites his bottom teeth fit under. It makes chewy things really tough. He will get braces in a few years.
STVUstudent
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2017 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this

if you are insisting that she eat healthy at home, packing her a junk lunch will not serve any purpose other than to show her that if she digs in her heels, you will cave.

Are there no healthy foods that she will eat?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 20, 2017 at 6:58 AM
My DD doesn't like to eat healthy food at all, but when it's her only option at home she does cave eventually.

Quoting Anonymous 2: My 17 yr old daughter still doesn't eat at school. She wouldn't eat packed lunch either. I gave up a long time ago. She's tall and thin and healthy. She just chooses to do her eating outside of school hours.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 20, 2017 at 7:00 AM
Mine doesn't like much that's healthy either but she's 17 so at this point, what she eats is her own choice.

Quoting Anonymous 1: My DD doesn't like to eat healthy food at all, but when it's her only option at home she does cave eventually.

Quoting Anonymous 2: My 17 yr old daughter still doesn't eat at school. She wouldn't eat packed lunch either. I gave up a long time ago. She's tall and thin and healthy. She just chooses to do her eating outside of school hours.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 20, 2017 at 7:00 AM
Would you feel intimidated by the school at all? I explained the situation but I felt like I was being judged. I half wish I'd just lied and said she prefers to eat in the evenings.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Nope one meal a day won't kill her, eat it or starve
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 20, 2017 at 7:00 AM
I don't know. That's hard. My kids eat at home and at school. Weirdos. Ds ate a huge breakfast at home and then went to school and bought breakfast. Ate a huge lunch, his snack, and ate 2 huge plates of food when he got home.
So I do not have this problem. I'd probably just pack a decent lunch with minimal junk and leave the rest up to her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 20, 2017 at 7:02 AM

If she starves so be it. Don't cater to her spoiled nature.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 20, 2017 at 7:06 AM
She doesn't have any of the problems you mentioned. The only sign of any delays is with her writing, she does it well but is extremely slow at it. We're not sure at this point if she's just being lazy or if it's something else. She can draw very well so it's not a motor skill issue.

She used to readily eat whatever she was given, but she was in daycare (and a different school district) and got spoiled to junk foods.

The school day is less than 7 hours, so not THAT long.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Does she get speech therapy? Have any speech delays? Lots of eating difficulty can be related to that.
Is she a healthy weight?
What foods does she like? If you look for foods that are similar in texture (crunchy, spicy) could you expand her choices.
Thats a LONG day for a little one to not eat.
Honestly, if youre not catering to her and it hasnt improved somethong else may be the issue.
Dental problems? Oral motor delays?
My childs teeth actually dont meet. When he bites his bottom teeth fit under. It makes chewy things really tough. He will get braces in a few years.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)