Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much responsibility would you give a 6 and 5yo for this?

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2017 at 8:12 AM
  • 41 Replies
DDs are 5 (Kindergarten) and 6 (1st grade). Every day they have a different activity for school, like Monday is Library and Tuesday is PE, etc. I'm thinking about making them each a weekly calendar that shows their activities each day so that they remember to put their library books in their backpacks on Library days, wear tennis shoes on PE days, etc. They ask me every morning while I'm getting ready for work and packing lunches, so I have to stop and look and then remember to put the library books in their backpacks or make sure they have tennis shoes on.

What kind of responsibilities do your elementary kids have when it comes to school stuff?
by on Sep. 20, 2017 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 20, 2017 at 8:14 AM
I make mine do that the night before as part of their bedtime routine.
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2017 at 8:16 AM

Both of my kids usually remember, but sometimes they need a reminder.  I think at those ages, they still need a reminder.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 20, 2017 at 8:17 AM
Also, by 6 years old, my daughters were getting themselves up in the mornings, dressed and fed and ready to go by the time I woke up.

My sons, however, have been harder to train. Getting oneself up in the morning is a life skill that everyone should have and I don't think it's too much to ask of them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 20, 2017 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
No at those ages it's YOUR responsibility as a parent to get them ready for school.
What's next fixing their own meals and doing their own laundry?
SPNpudding
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2017 at 8:19 AM
πŸ˜‚There is nothing wrong with giving kids responsibilities. Baby yours forver if you want, that's YOUR basement filled with grown ass, incapable "adults" one day.

Quoting Anonymous 2: No at those ages it's YOUR responsibility as a parent to get them ready for school.
What's next fixing their own meals and doing their own laundry?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 20, 2017 at 8:19 AM

I think it's a great idea. They should do this the night before.

karene999
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2017 at 8:21 AM

Sounds good to me, but like Anon1; have them do it the night before. 

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Sep. 20, 2017 at 8:21 AM
Dd is 10 and I still make sure she's prepared for the next day the night before.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 20, 2017 at 8:22 AM
The night before should be packing up all homework, putting out clothes for next day and whatever they need for school by the front door.
SPNpudding
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2017 at 8:22 AM
What did they feed themselves? I can't imagine mine making a bowl of cereal πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈ I need to get it together lol

Quoting Anonymous 1: Also, by 6 years old, my daughters were getting themselves up in the mornings, dressed and fed and ready to go by the time I woke up.

My sons, however, have been harder to train. Getting oneself up in the morning is a life skill that everyone should have and I don't think it's too much to ask of them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)