Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NEVER AGAIN!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
I have a friend who loves my baby, but she's become a heavy smoker. As soon as she hugged me I could smell the smoke between the massive amounts of perfume she used attempting to mask it. I was happy my baby was asleep when she came to visit and was hoping she would stay that way, but of course the naps don't last long, and I was forced to let her hold the baby. Baby didn't even want to be held by her, and I totally understand why. As soon as my friend left, I gave baby a bath, and put the clothes to wash (they wreaked like cigarettes!). How do I politely tell her she's not allowed to hold the baby while she's a smoker? I'd hate to be rude, I just have no idea how to go about this gracefully.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 21, 2017 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 21, 2017 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Tell her you took took the baby to the dr and the dr said no exposure to smoke
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 21, 2017 at 12:34 AM
I think we have all gone to such an extreme with smokers. If she is not smoking anywhere around the baby, how could she be of any harm?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 21, 2017 at 12:37 AM
Hey, the last time you were over and held the baby.. she reeked like smoke and perfume when you left. I had to give her a bath and wash the clothes because she's sensitive to it. If you want to hold her next time I ask that you don't smoke or just refrain from holding her when we hang out until she's older.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 21, 2017 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this
You haven't heard of third-hand smoke?

Quoting Anonymous 3: I think we have all gone to such an extreme with smokers. If she is not smoking anywhere around the baby, how could she be of any harm?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 21, 2017 at 12:54 AM
I'm afraid that no matter how nicely I put it, it'll still hurt her feelings. Maybe this will be the push she needs to quit, because I know she's attempted to in the past.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Hey, the last time you were over and held the baby.. she reeked like smoke and perfume when you left. I had to give her a bath and wash the clothes because she's sensitive to it. If you want to hold her next time I ask that you don't smoke or just refrain from holding her when we hang out until she's older.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 21, 2017 at 12:56 AM
I don't like lying to people.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Tell her you took took the baby to the dr and the dr said no exposure to smoke
3gr8tKids
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 1:01 AM
Either you are politely honest, rudely honest OR you don't have her around your daughter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 21, 2017 at 1:09 AM

Definitely say that too

Quoting Anonymous 1: I'm afraid that no matter how nicely I put it, it'll still hurt her feelings. Maybe this will be the push she needs to quit, because I know she's attempted to in the past.
Quoting Anonymous 4: Hey, the last time you were over and held the baby.. she reeked like smoke and perfume when you left. I had to give her a bath and wash the clothes because she's sensitive to it. If you want to hold her next time I ask that you don't smoke or just refrain from holding her when we hang out until she's older.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 21, 2017 at 1:13 AM

Just say no.

There's no way you can say it that she won't be offended.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 21, 2017 at 1:18 AM
So take the child to the doctor and ask if you should expose the baby to smoke.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't like lying to people.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Tell her you took took the baby to the dr and the dr said no exposure to smoke
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)