Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you had a colposcopy?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 120 Replies
1 mom liked this
I have to have one next month and I am a wreck. I'm pregnant, so they said if a biopsy is needed, they'll wait until after the baby is born.. but I still need the colpo. 😣
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 21, 2017 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
new2this09
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. It hurt like a bitch and the person who did mine said the device was being too "grabby." It wasn't fun at all.

Take Advil or something before you go. Ask them for a prescription or pain killer or something in advance for when you leave, and have someone take you home.

Maybe mine was just a really bad experience because I've been told it wasn't supposed to hurt. It's been nearly two decades and I still remember it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 21, 2017 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
The colposcopy is basically a small biopsy in itself. It hurts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 21, 2017 at 11:07 AM
I’m pretty sure you can’t take Advil while pregnant

Quoting new2this09: Yes. It hurt like a bitch and the person who did mine said the device was being too "grabby." It wasn't fun at all.

Take Advil or something before you go. Ask them for a prescription or pain killer or something in advance for when you leave, and have someone take you home.

Maybe mine was just a really bad experience because I've been told it wasn't supposed to hurt. It's been nearly two decades and I still remember it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 21, 2017 at 11:08 AM
GOD. 😣 I hate getting a pap. I can't imagine the nightmare this is going to ensue.

Quoting new2this09: Yes. It hurt like a bitch and the person who did mine said the device was being too "grabby." It wasn't fun at all.

JalynSpoon
by CajunTarHeel on Sep. 21, 2017 at 11:08 AM

Yes, two of them.

No issues.

No pain.

I slept through the entire thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 21, 2017 at 11:09 AM
I'm not sure the experience the other posters had, I had one about 6 years ago and it wasn't a big deal. The most uncomfortable part is the cleansing day or night before. Your out so you're not feeling anything during the procedure, I remember falling asleep in the room, and waking up in the recovery room and being a little woozy, I was a little gassy and maybe you could tell you were a little bit sore but not painful at all. Hopefully you have a similar experience.
Darlingone12
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 11:09 AM
The prep stuff I had to drink was awful! Smelled like nothing but tasted like death
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 21, 2017 at 11:10 AM
What?! I had no idea this was a procedure type thing. I thought it would be similar to a pap.

Quoting Anonymous 4: I'm not sure the experience the other posters had, I had one about 6 years ago and it wasn't a big deal. The most uncomfortable part is the cleansing day or night before. Your out so you're not feeling anything during the procedure, I remember falling asleep in the room, and waking up in the recovery room and being a little woozy, I was a little gassy and maybe you could tell you were a little bit sore but not painful at all. Hopefully you have a similar experience.
EarlGrayHot
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 11:10 AM

It's not "colposcopy."  It's "colonoscopy."  While they are looking in there is when they should remove any polyps.  Wait until you are no longer pregnant.  I would think you should avoid any anesthesia while pregnant.  You DO want to be unconscious when they perform this procedure.  The prep is the worst part, however.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 21, 2017 at 11:10 AM

It is uncomfortable but you def do not need painkillers after. I have had several. Upwards of 5. The ones where they don't biopsy hurt significantly less. Without the biopsy you are much less likely to have the cramping. Its pretty much like a pap smear but the clamp is larger and they poke your cervix a few times, which doesn't tickle but it is bearable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)