Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medical sales reps

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies
I am making a mid life career change. I've been working for a company that does a diagnostic test for the last 2 years. I have a few interviews over the next 2 weeks. I have been looking for awhile and suddenly I am getting calls.

Pharm rep marketing OTC allergy meds. Honestly I didn't even know this was a thing. It's a 2 yr contract and I'm concerned when the contract ends marketing OTC won't look good on my resume.

Rep for hospice care

Rep for company that markets early test for colon cancer

Assuming I get offers which would you take and why.

I really want to work for a diagnostics lab and I know an opening is coming up soon so I really have my fingers crossed for it.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 21, 2017 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 21, 2017 at 6:54 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 21, 2017 at 7:00 PM
I used to recruit for pharma sales and I would suggest the early test for colon cancer. OTC isn't going to get you into the specialty pharma sales which is the biggest money. Rep for hospice care is not the same as drug sales. It helps if the company is one of Big Pharma like Novartis, Wyeth, Pfizer, Sanofi etc...

Most of those sales jobs are contract based and when that contract ends you go to the next company with the new drug. Reps with established territories are recycled from company to company so while it's not a stable job like some others, once you're established you can make a lot of money and have very little gaps in your resume.

Good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 21, 2017 at 7:49 PM
Thank you! I am definatley concerned about the OTC job. Hospice didn't excite me at.

Thank you so much for the advice !

Quoting Anonymous 2: I used to recruit for pharma sales and I would suggest the early test for colon cancer. OTC isn't going to get you into the specialty pharma sales which is the biggest money. Rep for hospice care is not the same as drug sales. It helps if the company is one of Big Pharma like Novartis, Wyeth, Pfizer, Sanofi etc...

Most of those sales jobs are contract based and when that contract ends you go to the next company with the new drug. Reps with established territories are recycled from company to company so while it's not a stable job like some others, once you're established you can make a lot of money and have very little gaps in your resume.

Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)