Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher vent.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
I work in a special education school for level 4/5 EBD students. The kids that come to school with knives, sell drugs, beat up other kids, or have mental health issues that are very severe like suicide attempts and schizophrenia. We have small and personalized classes with daily therapy, social workers and psychologists.

One rule we have is no phones until you are on merit. Merit is earned by good social behaviors. Even merit kids need to leave them in their pockets unless its lunch or break time. If they bring a phone we take it and lock it up until lunch. We ask for phones but we can't frisk a kid, we take them once we see them and penalize for lying.
We have asked one mom to not send her kid to school with a phone. It turns into an all day event trying to get it away from him. Today he smashed three windows and broke off a door knob in his temper tantrum.
HOW HARD IS, "DONT DRIVE HIM HERE UNTIL YOU TAKE HIS PHONE"????
We don't have busses as we can't put disregulated kids on one.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 22, 2017 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 22, 2017 at 7:01 PM
My son's school doesn't even allow phones. He has 5 mental health diagnosis.
AnteandAngelsQT
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2017 at 7:06 PM
That’s rough work.

We know an inkling of how this kid got into that situation just with this if he doesn’t have a condition. It is sad his guardian feels the need to make you guys take it from him. I imagine there may be some fear on how to handle him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 22, 2017 at 7:08 PM

lock him in the closet

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 22, 2017 at 7:09 PM
2 moms liked this
She probably doesn't want to (or doesn't know how to) deal with his tantrum at home so she leaves it for you to deal with at school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 22, 2017 at 7:12 PM
This is my thinking.

Quoting Anonymous 4: She probably doesn't want to (or doesn't know how to) deal with his tantrum at home so she leaves it for you to deal with at school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 22, 2017 at 7:15 PM
We can't and won't do that. I did have him in a closet like room today but he went in on his own and I said "hey buddy I'm going to go grab something, I'm locking the door so nobody can get in because we are on a soft lockdown. You can leave though, you aren't locked in."

I told him to wait inside until I came back or the lockdown was cleared. He agreed and waited patiently. Oddly I like the kid, he knows I won't hurt him or force him to do anything, but I can't let him keep the phone or go to class until he gives it up.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

lock him in the closet

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 22, 2017 at 7:17 PM
I know that's the case. She's a single mom with a kid thrown out of 7 different schools. She does have the power to turn off service if she doesn't want to take it.

Quoting Anonymous 4: She probably doesn't want to (or doesn't know how to) deal with his tantrum at home so she leaves it for you to deal with at school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 22, 2017 at 7:19 PM

Can you give a reward for everyone who has a cell phone and tells you about it/gives it to you until their breaks/lunches?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 22, 2017 at 7:40 PM
No. We are a Boys Town school. That means the school day is spartan until they earn it. You get your school books, a pencil and paper. You get a desk to sit in, and the clothes on your back. No hats, no phones, no anything. Even lunch is basic for kids on the lowest level.

Every 10 minutes or so we give them points for social skills. (Getting the teachers attention appropriately, working with others, having a conversation, staying on task, etc.) they use points to buy their way to being a merit student or for things like field trips, gel pens, gum, etc.

They earn negative points for lying, swearing, being irresponsible with materials, etc. Nobody gets a phone until merit. They work hard for it and are really the only kids able to handle the responsibility.

Quoting Anonymous 6:

Can you give a reward for everyone who has a cell phone and tells you about it/gives it to you until their breaks/lunches?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 22, 2017 at 8:24 PM
Then none of the teachers or staff should have their phones during school hours.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)