Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thyroid issues?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:05 PM
  • 22 Replies
A chiropractic X-ray of my neck showed I have a swollen thyroid. I go next week for blood work to my regular doctor to check my thyroid levels. I'm overdue for a checkup anyway, I need my blood iron level checked too. I've been googling away. I'm reading that usually the neck is swollen when the thyroid is acting up and it's called goiter. My neck doesn't look swollen although I have gained weight. So, if you've had thyroid issues, care to share your story? Tell me what your symptoms were. Just trying to be informed. Thanks in advance.
by on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't have thyroid issues but I was tested for it because I've had a crazy amount of weight gain even though I've done nothing different to cause it. Hopefully all goes well for you. My dr thinks sleep apnea is causing me to gain like crazy which makes no sense to me but oh well lol
Patti-Gee
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I had no real issues, went in for routine blood work.   The sent me to do a re-draw after that I was referred to a Endocrynologist. 

Curlymom234
by Flamingo lady on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck! I have problems with weight gain and I’m ALWAYS cold. My OB ran a ton of blood work at my second visit and it was fine. Good luck babe.
Trouser.Mouse
by on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:19 PM
2 moms liked this
My story is long. So, I won't go into the details, but make sure your doctor does an anti-TPO in addition to the regular thyroid panel. Not getting the correct testing done left me undiagnosed for 10 years and I gained over 100 lbs. within the first 4 years of me knowing something was wrong. I even had a goiter and went to see doctors multiple times telling them that I knew something was wrong with my thyroid.

As soon as I had the anti-TPO (10 years from my first symptoms), it came back highly positive for autoimmune thyroid disease.
Trouser.Mouse
by on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:20 PM
2 moms liked this
Read my reply. You should make sure they are running an anti-TPO on you as well.

Quoting Curlymom234: Good luck! I have problems with weight gain and I’m ALWAYS cold. My OB ran a ton of blood work at my second visit and it was fine. Good luck babe.
cellomom26
by on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I had hyper thyroid, lost so much weight I looked anorexic, got on meds and was fine. After having my son I had hypo thyroid, gained weight and was exhausted all the time. Got on meds and now am fine, the weight slowly came off.

Good luck, I know how bad the symptoms can be. Make sure they test T3, T4, and TSH. If your meds don't fix all your symptoms, keep working on it with your doctor. Advocate for yourself.
Fushithedruid
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Trouser.Mouse: Read my reply. You should make sure they are running an anti-TPO on you as well.
Quoting Curlymom234: Good luck! I have problems with weight gain and I’m ALWAYS cold. My OB ran a ton of blood work at my second visit and it was fine. Good luck babe.

I didn't know that TM, I have been fighting to figure out wth is wrong with me. makes me wonder if it's my medications causing problems or what? my TSH 3 and 4 is low but still within normal ranges. have you heard of high estrogen having nearly all the same symptoms of Hypo? Hypo runs in my family, unfortunately (both my mom and paternal grandma). 

now I'm dealing with a potentially bad side effect of a new medication I'm on. I texted my Dr's text service and his secretary is going to let him know and hopefully, she can get me back in. 

Trouser.Mouse
by on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know much about estrogen levels being off. My thyroid stays usually between 3 and 4 as well. That's why I went undiagnosed. When you have autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's), your body is producing antibodies to attack and kill your thyroid. This puts your thyroid under stress and causes it to have to overwork itself until it eventually fizzles out. The thyroid having to work so hard to "win the war" is what causes it to enlarge in many people.

Euthyroid (normal thyroid function) is said to be optimal at around a TSH of 1.0. So, even if a TSH under 5 is "normal", you can feel like complete crap at 3.5. For me, I feel like crap until I get between 1-2.

Quoting Fushithedruid:

Quoting Trouser.Mouse: Read my reply. You should make sure they are running an anti-TPO on you as well.

I didn't know that TM, I have been fighting to figure out wth is wrong with me. makes me wonder if it's my medications causing problems or what? my TSH 3 and 4 is low but still within normal ranges. have you heard of high estrogen having nearly all the same symptoms of Hypo? Hypo runs in my family, unfortunately (both my mom and paternal grandma). 

now I'm dealing with a potentially bad side effect of a new medication I'm on. I texted my Dr's text service and his secretary is going to let him know and hopefully, she can get me back in. 

Fushithedruid
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:42 PM

Quoting Trouser.Mouse: I don't know much about estrogen levels being off. My thyroid stays usually between 3 and 4 as well. That's why I went undiagnosed. When you have autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's), your body is producing antibodies to attack and kill your thyroid. This puts your thyroid under stress and causes it to have to overwork itself until it eventually fizzles out. The thyroid having to work so hard to "win the war" is what causes it to enlarge in many people. Euthyroid (normal thyroid function) is said to be optimal at around a TSH of 1.0. So, even if a TSH under 5 is "normal", you can feel like complete crap at 3.5. For me, I feel like crap until I get between 1-2.
Quoting Fushithedruid:

I'm currently looking to start with another provider. my current one is being shady as heck, well, at least according to my grandma. (we both  see the same Dr). I'm trying to go into one i had before hubby's old job switched insurances on us. my thyroid was at 4. something, then just a few weeks ago, it dropped by half. it was 2.7. I am seriously going nuts trying to figure out why my periods are so messed up, why my nails are thin, my weight issues, just a lot of stuff. I get that I have Bipolar and my medication can cause weight gain, but I'm at 157 now, I am active as much as i can be. it's so difficult. 

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:45 PM

A swollen thyroid is a goiter.  You are really hypothyroid if you have a goiter. Please go to the following website:  StopTheThyroidMadness.com and READ EVERYTHING.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)