Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need to save money on Christmas presents this year

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 113 Replies
I know this is early, but it's on my mind because I have four kids and there's a birthday between now and Christmas. DH took a job a few months ago. He is happier, but it is more hours and less pay. The bonuses may, in theory, make it more money than he's ever made before. But you can't count on bonuses. Even contractual ones.

Money has been really tight because DH keeps resisting reducing our expenses. I've told him I think it's a pride thing. He doesn't want to admit he's making less money because he's so happy. And he gets so down every time I try to broach the subject because he's this rock star at work and then he comes home and he hears that he's not making enough money even when all I say is that we had to pull money out of savings.

But, anyway, we have to go small for Christmas. We have to. I wrote down a list of everything that's important to me but that no one else will care about losing. Those definitely have to go. No buying new decorations. No gifts exchanged between the adults. I probably won't get the kids new pajamas or socks/underwear, or new outerwear like coats/scarves, mittens/hats. And probably no giving them each $60 to buy three gifts for their three siblings. And I'm not sure what I'm going to do about stockings. Maybe just make all the stockings candy to save money instead of small gifts like soap and spinbrushes and deodorant. And maybe not have such a big spread for Christmas dinner. Something simpler.

Does anyone have other ideas? I feel like so far out in advance I can actually do some things. I know DH isn't really getting it, because he was just talking today about buying me a new Fitbit and a new iPhone for Christmas.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lipsis
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:54 PM
Won't he get a bonus before Christmas? I'd just wait and see how your finances are by December. No use borrowing trouble before it comes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:54 PM
Does your income help at all?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
How old are the kids?

Clearance racks are a great place to look.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 5:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Start shopping now and put things away. We shop year round for Christmas gifts
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 23, 2017 at 5:02 PM
3 moms liked this
Draw names for gifts between the siblings (secret santa) put a limit of $5 or $10 on it. Less money but added fun.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 23, 2017 at 5:06 PM
2 moms liked this

the siblings don't need to buy each other something... have them make each other something.

focus on traditions, not material things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2017 at 5:06 PM
I don't work. We were trying to work opposite shifts and I fell asleep at the wheel and t-boned a dad. He's alive but he had to get back surgery and my insurance company wouldn't settle and pay out the policy limits until after he had his back surgery, so now I'm being sued for more than the policy limits. My husband's name wasn't on the title and I was insured separately to protect him, plus the house isn't in my name, so there's not anything they're going to be able to get. Literally all they have is that we have a joint checking account I'm on and I have my IRA.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Does your income help at all?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 23, 2017 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Dollar General? Dollar Tree? Thrift stores? Handmade gifts? Gift sets at Walmart for $5 or $10? I'm a single mom of 2 daughters with no child support and I used my tax refund each year on their birthdays and Christmas and I only shop at Walmart with my discount card I work as a department manager there for 14 years now. Have you started a layaway yet at Walmart? It begins now and ends December 11th so you can pay as much or little at a time and the last day is December 11. Also try shopping in retail on Thanksgiving night where they have Black "Friday" sales if you don't mind the crowds. I tried my best to give advices.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2017 at 5:14 PM
Making each other something would still cost money, so probably not any of that, either. I'm the only one who would miss it, so that's why it's be an easy cut to make. I put in the OP all the stuff that would be easy cuts to make, because that's all the stuff that's only important to me. It's not like the kids care about gifts that are only worth $20 or less. And they definitely don't care about underwear, except maybe one who wanted some bras and underwear from VS. But DH just went and bought her underwear from there because he doesn't believe in waiting for birthdays and Christmas when the kids ask for stuff.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

the siblings don't need to buy each other something... have them make each other something.

focus on traditions, not material things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Sep. 23, 2017 at 5:17 PM
Thrift Shops!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)