Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think Im retarded

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 53 Replies
Seriously...

I just left my college remedial class early because I feel so discouraged and overwhelmed.

I placed into remedial math... Growing up math started gettingbhard and confusing to me in fifth grade and I flunked every math course since than... I managed to pass my ged math portion by the skin of my teeth. I also placed into the remedial math course that would allow me to only take the one remedial math course instead of the two so that's good however... I'm so lost..

We're doing fractions with mixed and whole numbers the instructor is going so fast he's not explaining everything and everyone else just automatically gets it..

I can't remember the steps of what to do! My mind just draws a blank and I end up adding and subtracting the fractions as it is which is of course wrong... I also drowned doing exponents in algebra..

Midterm is in two weeks and I'm crying because failure is looming... I honestly feel like maybe I'm just retarded and college isn't for me. IDK what else to do... Why does everyone else know the math and I don't? Im 32 ffs and my 7th grader knows how to do this fucking math

I feel I can do it if I had the steps written out for me like for subtraction find the LCD than etc. But of course that isn't allowed but that's the only way I'll remember all of this stuff because my mind just goes blank.

I left class two hours early and ive been crying ever since
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2017 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustKeepsmoving
by 5 on Sep. 23, 2017 at 6:16 PM
Can you get a tutor?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2017 at 6:18 PM
Yes.. The college has a math lab with free tutoring. I haven't gone yet because I always have to rush home to take care of my kids but I should be entering them into an after-school program soon so I'll have time.

Quoting JustKeepsmoving: Can you get a tutor?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 23, 2017 at 6:18 PM
So your brain stopped forming?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 23, 2017 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Cue everyone who gets all high and mighty about the "r" word.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2017 at 6:20 PM
If I am... Than what? I should explain that I only think I'm retarded with math. I excel in my other courses and have 15 credits already from some years back. My ged score was high enough that I could've possibly went to a 4 year college afterwards minus the math but I got pregnant...

Quoting Anonymous 2: Maybe you are. Go get tested.
Reading.Rainbow
by Mad Martigan on Sep. 23, 2017 at 6:21 PM

Say you have Arithmophobia .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2017 at 6:21 PM
I honestly believe it did... There's no other explanation for why my mind goes blank

Quoting Anonymous 3: So your brain stopped forming?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 23, 2017 at 6:22 PM
Go to the free math lab. Everybody learns differently and the way it's being presented to you isn't working. A tutor can explain it in a way that will make you understand. Also, it takes a lot of repitition, so be diligent to study, and do lots and lots of problems. With practice and the right type of help, I'm sure you can do this!! Hang in there. 👍🏼
Spam72
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 6:22 PM
Maybe college isn't for you. I have an EA at my work who had to be removed as my EA in reading class because she couldn't read well. She's taking online college and I'm not sure how she will pass.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 23, 2017 at 6:22 PM

That word isn't politically correct any more.  you are mentally challenged

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)