Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quit or fired?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

If an employee walks out during the shift, throwing their uniform shirt in the trash as they go, would you consider them quitting or fired?

We had one do this earlier this week.  She is posting on Facebook calling me and the MOD out as "getting her fired".  I tried to stop her from walking out and she flipped me off and kept walking.  After that, I had no choice other than to call the MOD and tell him what happened.  He had no choice (per policy) than to contact my dept. manager who said as far as she is concerned, she quit and she is not letting her come back this time.  She has walked out twice before, both times claiming she misunderstood me and this same MOD that she had our permission to go home due to being too stressed to work.

She claims she is filing for unemployment and is naming me and the MOD as having no authority to fire her.  We didn't, the dept. manager contacted her and said based on what we told her, she quit, but again, she is attempting to claim I told her it was okay for her to go home.  So not true, we were hella busy and she just walked out.  She says if she doesn't get her unemployment, she is fighting it and going to make sure that the MOD and I both lose our jobs.   

We do not have cameras so it is her word against mine.  The other cashiers saw her leave, but they were not able to hear anything that was said between us.    

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2017 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmaliaD
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 12:35 PM
That's obviously quitting on the job without notice. Not fired. You can get unemployment for getting fired. Because it wasn't your choice.
zombiemegg
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 12:37 PM
That is quitting 100%. She walked out, no one told her to leave.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Sep. 24, 2017 at 12:37 PM
She definitely quit.
Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 12:38 PM
She quit. Let her file and let her lose. Ugh, but good riddence.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 24, 2017 at 12:44 PM
Are you actually worried about this?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 24, 2017 at 12:45 PM

It is definitely good riddance.  She is a good cashier, quick and efficient when in a good mood, but when in a bad mood, we get customer complaints all night about her horrible attitude and how slow she is.  She is in a good mood 2 shifts per week.      

Quoting Isaacsmom913: She quit. Let her file and let her lose. Ugh, but good riddence.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 24, 2017 at 12:46 PM

Only worried that if she makes a big enough stink to corporate, they will give her her job back just to shut her up like they did previously.  

Quoting Anonymous 2: Are you actually worried about this?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 24, 2017 at 12:47 PM

She quit.

There is no unemployment benefits if you quit a job.

You and the mod and the manager or whoever has nothing to worry about.  the person clearly quit  case closed., benefits denied.

redbottoms
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 12:47 PM
I feel zero sympathy for this person. You did what I would have done. You owe her nothing. Team you
nmkj
by Emerald Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 12:53 PM
That is quitting
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)