Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grounded from screens/electronics

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2017 at 3:28 PM
  • 22 Replies

My nephew is 8. What do your children do when they are grounded from screens/electronics? He got mouthy with his mother last night, got defiant, and got grounded for the night. His mom takes advantage of such times (which don't happen often) to spend time with him, they baked cookies last night, sometimes they play a board game. She does these things regularly when he is not in trouble, and lures him away from electronics for a while, she reads with him every night, etc; but when he is off screens for some reason, she makes a special effort to do these things with him. What do your kids do when they get in trouble and have electronics/screens taken from them?

by on Sep. 24, 2017 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 24, 2017 at 3:32 PM
Mine sit in their rooms, not make desserts and play games.
left.drowning
by Fix Me on Sep. 24, 2017 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Work the farm. But you kind of have to have a farm. 😕
redbottoms
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 3:33 PM
I let mine be super bored. They can read or go play outside or play with toys but they usually just end up rolling around on the couch or bed staring at the ceiling for hours. Mine are screen junkies so they literally act like they don't know what to do when I take it away. But whatever, its their choice not to play or read or whatever.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 24, 2017 at 3:35 PM
Mine has never been grounded from either, but I like your sister's way of thinking. Discipline is supposed to teach, not be punitive for punitive sake.
tsatske2
by Latricia on Sep. 24, 2017 at 3:37 PM

I know, me too. That's how I feel, it makes it more like discipline than straight out punishment, and it shows him what kinds of things he can do for fun without electronics. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Mine has never been grounded from either, but I like your sister's way of thinking. Discipline is supposed to teach, not be punitive for punitive sake.

armytriplets
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Our kids screen time is so limited already that we do t generally use it for punishment. We cook, clean, read and play together all the time. They play outdoors more than anything. If I wanted to ground them from something that would make an impression, I would have to ground them... like literally, no climbing trees.
tsatske2
by Latricia on Sep. 24, 2017 at 3:39 PM

I have to say, I feel them on reading. I was in the hospital for a week ending Thursday, where no electronics were allowed. I knew I was going and packed in advance. I could only locate one book to take with me. I do all my reading on my kindle now. Thank Goodness they had a book cart. Not that many books to my preference, but then, neither was the one book I took, or I would have already read it by now! I missed the novels and series that I was in the middle of. (I tend to read several things at once. I have a Kindle Unlimited account that is just for me, it stays near to full. )

Quoting redbottoms: I let mine be super bored. They can read or go play outside or play with toys but they usually just end up rolling around on the couch or bed staring at the ceiling for hours. Mine are screen junkies so they literally act like they don't know what to do when I take it away. But whatever, its their choice not to play or read or whatever.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 24, 2017 at 3:39 PM
I don't believe in punitive punishment and have never used it. It's not an effective way to motivate little ones. Or bigger ones, for that matter.

Quoting tsatske2:

I know, me too. That's how I feel, it makes it more like discipline than straight out punishment, and it shows him what kinds of things he can do for fun without electronics. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Mine has never been grounded from either, but I like your sister's way of thinking. Discipline is supposed to teach, not be punitive for punitive sake.

alexmom529
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 3:40 PM
What does it teach? Do something wrong and get cookies?

tsatske2
by Latricia on Sep. 24, 2017 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so great!

Quoting armytriplets:Th Our kids screen time is so limited already that we do t generally use it for punishment. We cook, clean, read and play together all the time. They play outdoors more than anything. If I wanted to ground them from something that would make an impression, I would have to ground them... like literally, no climbing trees.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)