Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He wants an expensive house

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
And I don't. DH and I have been preparing to buy a home. We've browsed listings and looked around. I want something $150k or less but he keeps sending me like $300k+ listings. I have told him I don't want to spend that much. For this area, 150k will buy a really nice comfortable 4/2. I think when it's time to actually make a decision it's gonna cause an issue between us. :(
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2017 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
new2this09
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 7:52 PM
Talk to a financial advisor to determine what you both can comfortably afford; including in the event of a job lay-off, etc.

Definitely do not sign something for more than you're comfortable with co-signing on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 24, 2017 at 7:54 PM
We've been approved for up to $400k and we can afford that comfortably. I just don't WANT to spend that much money. I'd rather spend less and pay it off sooner.

Quoting new2this09: Talk to a financial advisor to determine what you both can comfortably afford; including in the event of a job lay-off, etc.

Definitely do not sign something for more than you're comfortable with co-signing on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 24, 2017 at 7:55 PM

Go for a mortgage pre approval if you haven't already, that will at least give you an idea of what's feasible. If your husband is way off base, it will bring him in line. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 24, 2017 at 7:57 PM
We've been approved for up to $400k and we can afford that comfortably. I just don't WANT to spend that much money. I'd rather spend less and pay it off sooner.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Go for a mortgage pre approval if you haven't already, that will at least give you an idea of what's feasible. If your husband is way off base, it will bring him in line. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 24, 2017 at 7:57 PM
I agree with you, there isn't a need to have a 300k home if you don't have to. Is there a number you both can agree on? Like maybe you go up 50k?

Quoting Anonymous 1: We've been approved for up to $400k and we can afford that comfortably. I just don't WANT to spend that much money. I'd rather spend less and pay it off sooner.

Quoting new2this09: Talk to a financial advisor to determine what you both can comfortably afford; including in the event of a job lay-off, etc.

new2this09
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 7:57 PM
Ohhh I see. So then what if you start looking for properties online and make it your goal to get your DH to fall in love with one that's in your price range?

Quoting Anonymous 1: We've been approved for up to $400k and we can afford that comfortably. I just don't WANT to spend that much money. I'd rather spend less and pay it off sooner.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 24, 2017 at 7:58 PM
I could agree to meet at 200k, but I'm afraid he will be disappointed with that.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I agree with you, there isn't a need to have a 300k home if you don't have to. Is there a number you both can agree on? Like maybe you go up 50k?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 24, 2017 at 7:58 PM
I guess it's not time to buy yet. Does he have a reason for wanting a home that expensive?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I could agree to meet at 200k, but I'm afraid he will be disappointed with that.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I agree with you, there isn't a need to have a 300k home if you don't have to. Is there a number you both can agree on? Like maybe you go up 50k?

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 7:59 PM

So, if you can get a nice house for $150K, what do you get for $300K?  Is it something he wants?  Newer, bigger, better location, better yard?  It might not be the money at all, but the TYPE of house he wants.

nmkj
by Emerald Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 8:03 PM
Sure you can afford the house now but what if something happens. I hope your husband starts thinking smarter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)