Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is Frustrating as HELL!

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2017 at 7:58 PM
  • 21 Replies

I'm at my wit's end right now! During Irma, we had several trees fall on our property. Three smaller ones fell on our pasture's fence and one large one fell on our barn. The horses were uninjured thankfully but we had nowhere to house them because the pasture wasn't secure for them. The rescue I got 2 of the horses from took them temporarily so we could make repairs. We were able to cut up the trees on the fence and fix the fence but the tree on the barn is too large and needs specialized equipment to move. I've called every tree service and they are booked solid because of storm damage. Basically if the tree isn't on a house, it isn't a priority so we have been put on a wait list. We finally got an appointment for Friday but the barn is buckling under the weight of the huge as tree, which is hanging onto the stump by a small strip of wood. If that goes, the barn will be gone. We've plugged up every crack because I'm afraid of the cats getting in there. The doors are shut and boarded up but I honestly think that the barn is not long for this world. When the tree fell on it, the barn flooded and it shorted out the electricity. 

We put up a small temporary shelter for the horses in our pasture which is basically a wooden box with tarps over it and we were hoping to bring them home today but we got up this morning and one of the supports fell down and then my husband got mad, kicked it, and broke his toe! I am so OVER this shit. My dad and brother came out to fix the shelter and make it a little more secure so we're going to try this again tomorrow. My husband is kicking himself (figuratively, not literally because literally his toe hurts too bad to kick anything). It's hard not having the horses here because they are a part of our family. 

by on Sep. 24, 2017 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CannotCount
by It's Misspelt on Sep. 24, 2017 at 8:09 PM
:( that all sounds very frustrating. Hopefully you won't lose the barn and it's all taken care of quickly.
SaskMummy
by Mandy on Sep. 24, 2017 at 8:19 PM
I'm sorry for all your bad looks.. sending good vibes !
Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 8:27 PM

My dad said that it would probably be much better to just tear it down and rebuild it. It is beyond just patching the holes now. The roof is almost gone and so is one of the walls. Honestly, I would like some more stalls too. 

Quoting CannotCount: :( that all sounds very frustrating. Hopefully you won't lose the barn and it's all taken care of quickly.

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 8:31 PM

Thanks. The woman who runs the rescue is trying to get me to take more horses, lol. She is over capacity so she is trying to adopt out some of these animals. They have a bunch of horses, donkies, mules, and even a few cows and llamas that need good homes. Some of them are just there temporarily but some of them were surrendered or abandoned. 

Quoting SaskMummy: I'm sorry for all your bad looks.. sending good vibes !

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 8:36 PM

BUMP!

motherslove82
by Emerald Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 8:38 PM

Yikes! Hopefully, you are able to get it all worked out. 

SaskMummy
by Mandy on Sep. 24, 2017 at 8:41 PM
I'm Kind of disgusted at how people just abandon their pets .

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

Thanks. The woman who runs the rescue is trying to get me to take more horses, lol. She is over capacity so she is trying to adopt out some of these animals. They have a bunch of horses, donkies, mules, and even a few cows and llamas that need good homes. Some of them are just there temporarily but some of them were surrendered or abandoned. 

solen
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 8:45 PM

That sucks, And must be so frustrating!  

I hope you are able to save the barn somehow and get your horses back home.  This is the sort of thing that people don't always realize about disasters.....the struggle can last for awhile, and although not life and death, it is life altering.....and yes, you are grateful your family is safe, but it still must be frustrating as can be!  Just remember, you will get through it somehow.  

PS, my friends daughter would be all over the llamas!  Where in FL are you?  My son was looking at a small college in the middle of the state, but now I'm not so sure......

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

The shelter looks more stable now. My dad added extra support beams and doubled the nails so hopefully NOW it is ok. We shook it and it held up. Knock wood, lol. Hubby's toe is taped up. He's hoping that he will be able to work, lol.

Quoting motherslove82:

Yikes! Hopefully, you are able to get it all worked out. 

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 9:21 PM

Me too. I couldn't imagine just leaving mine behind. I'm sure some people had no choice but still. 

Quoting SaskMummy: I'm Kind of disgusted at how people just abandon their pets .
Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)