Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He lies!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
My 10 year old lies about everything and he becomes very agitated and aggressive if you call him on it.

For example: He plays a little too rough with a sibling. I say "hey, Gavin play easier. You could hurt them." He says "I'm not being rough." And I'll say "I know you're being careful but they are littler than you and you are getting a little wild. Just rein it in some." And he will start getting really angry and trying to argue me about it. Which I just usually send him to his room because I don't bicker with 10 year olds. But he always ends up in trouble for shouting or slamming things.

Or I could say "hey go do your chores." And he will tell me he did them and I'll say "look I can SEE right now the trash hasn't been taken out." And he will tell me it has... when we are both standing next to a full trash bin. And I'll say "we both know you are lying. So you are on consequences for lying." And he will start trying to argue and fight me on that. And then he will get madder and madder until he ends up stomping and slamming doors, or shouting at someone. But the kicker is he will still be insisting the whole time that the trash is out and he's not lying.

This morning I told him to grab his jacket out of the dryer. I said it's going to be chilly this morning and he might want it in class sometimes it gets cold. He told me he had a jacket. I said "no, you don't I washed. Go grab it from the dryer." And he proceeded to argue me that I don't know and he DOES have it. He put it in his pack this morning. Well, no, it's in my dryer still.

Have you ever had a child like this? Lying is frustrating enough. But lying about things he knows I can plainly see are lies and then getting mad about me not believing him is anorhe thing and it worries me that he has like control issues or something.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2017 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 7:57 AM
My Dd is 6 and she is always lying about the smallest things, even after I see her do something and talk to her about it she will still lie. I am at a loss what to do also, I don’t know how to get her to stop
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 7:57 AM
I would have snapped by now
Valentina327
by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:00 AM
My youngest niece...right in front of your face.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:01 AM
I just don't get it. I don't lie to him. So I don't understand his need to lie about everything.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I would have snapped by now
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:02 AM
What did her parents do to prevent it?

Quoting Valentina327: My youngest niece...right in front of your face.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:02 AM
It sounds like you're inviting the arguments. When he starts to argue don't respond. He doesn't need an explanation at his age. If he doesn't listen he gets punished. He doesn't need a warning about it, he should know the consequences of not doing what he's told. It sounds like you're babying him.
hotspice58
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this
This. You have to disconnect. And punish him for lying.

Quoting Anonymous 4: It sounds like you're inviting the arguments. When he starts to argue don't respond. He doesn't need an explanation at his age. If he doesn't listen he gets punished. He doesn't need a warning about it, he should know the consequences of not doing what he's told. It sounds like you're babying him.
Curlymom234
by Flamingo lady on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:05 AM

I'm at a loss with my 6 year old as well. We've made some headway just by me saying I don't believe him anymore and to prove it to me. When I catch him in a lie, I remind him that he' in less trouble for telling me the truth.... that hasn't helped at all. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: My Dd is 6 and she is always lying about the smallest things, even after I see her do something and talk to her about it she will still lie. I am at a loss what to do also, I don’t know how to get her to stop

Valentina327
by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:10 AM
She's just basically outgrown it recently as she's gotten a little older. She's turned 12 over the summer.

Quoting Anonymous 1: What did her parents do to prevent it?

Quoting Valentina327: My youngest niece...right in front of your face.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:43 AM
My teen is a pathological liar and as always been, she's SN and can't tell the difference between her lies and reality. We ignore now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)