Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help talk me into it OR out of it

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 88 Replies

I have been having parties and get togethers at our house for years and years...over 20 years. This was even before kids. So since having kids, of course more parties. My kids are now 10 and 13 and love having parties. I am exhausted and tired of dealing with people not RSVP'ing, and because of that, not knowing how much food to buy/make, tired of all the cleaning before and after, all the prep work and decorating. 

My kids want another Halloween party. We have SO many decorations that have accumulated over the years and it's cute to see it come together, but it's exhausting.

But at my kids' ages, should I just suck it up and keep doing these parties because it isn't going to be forever and just enjoy it while we can or should I do something more low key and more like a playdate/get together with no decorations and just a few friends over for pizza and no other adults? 

We have land so our house is good for parties, but I also always worry about the weather although I know the party can just be moved indoors but it's more fun for hayrides and bonfires and stuff when the weather is not raining. WWYD? Another party or just have a few of my kids' friends over?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I would do another party.
SPNpudding
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

I would do it! I love hosting, but our house is crap and not big enough (hooray for house shopping next year!🎉). My granny used to have halloween parties and they were so fun! I miss them every year. The memories made with my cousins (who I don't even see/talk to much anymore!) are some of the best I have.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Could you scale down the traditional party? I see nothing wrong with that. Invite people you are close to and actually want to see, do a few decorations and do easy food. No one will be upset it if isn't the party of the century.

Our favorite Halloween tradition when we were first married was going over to a friends' house and having the same basic meal each year, handing out candy and watching the same tv Halloween movie each year. Technically it was a party, but it wasn't an extreme one.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:15 AM

would you involve other adults or just have kids there?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I would do another party.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:16 AM
3 moms liked this
If your kids want a party, they have to help clean up the house, set up the decorations and clean it up.
RedRose91
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:16 AM
I'm gonna start doing Halloween parties once my kids are a little older and start making friends. I love Halloween it's my favorite holiday.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:17 AM
Quoting Anonymous 1:

would you involve other adults or just have kids there?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I would do another party.

I would definitely include adults. I would also get some of those adults to help out too.
mama_danetta
by She's so heavy on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:18 AM

Quoting Anonymous 4: If your kids want a party, they have to help clean up the house, set up the decorations and clean it up.
HellHound
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:19 AM
I would do another party with the kids help. They are old enough to do a lot of the cleaning before and after and a lot of the decorating. And if they live parties so much this will teach them how to throwtheir own when they move out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:20 AM
I would do it. But also kids are old enough now that if they want one they need to do most of the prep work and get stuff set up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)