Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If I take the job I am going to have to give up citizenship

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 73 Replies

I just got offered an amazing job opportunity from work. It is a huge promotion and pretty much exactly what I wanted. 

If I take the job I am going to have to give up my US citizenship. It will put be over the "tax free" income limit. It means I will be double taxed if I keep it. I dont even live in the US (never even been) but I would be taxed anyway. On top of that it is a horrible process and so many people get fucked over. 

I would have to hold back money from each pay check and hope it is enough so that I dont end up owing a huge amount at the end of the year. The lawyer fees are also crazy

If I keep my citizenship and take the promotion in the end I would be getting less money which is just awful. 

So I am just going to try and give it up. I hope they will let me. I have heard some people go in and have it done same day and others get denied year after year which is what scares me. I should be able to give it up right when I ask. 

I really want the job I just wish I didnt have to worry about all the rest of it. 

There is no real point to this post, just venting. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:29 AM

If you've never even been to the US, why would you even want to keep your citizenship? Hope everything works out for you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:30 AM
Good luck! I would give it up too. No reason to pay a country you have never even been to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:30 AM

Because it is expensive as shit to get rid of it and the younger you are the more likely you are denied. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

If you've never even been to the US, why would you even want to keep your citizenship? Hope everything works out for you.

Sunkissed82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:44 AM
Cool story, bro.
dedhed
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:47 AM

Why would you have to give it up?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:48 AM
5 moms liked this
I may be Ignorant, but how do you have citizenship if you have never even been to the country?

Geeez17
by Emerald Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:50 AM
If you do not live here, just give up citizenship. I hope all works out for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Both my parents are US citizens. 

Quoting Anonymous 4: I may be Ignorant, but how do you have citizenship if you have never even been to the country?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Like I said in the post the taxation will be crazy. I should have given it up in the past but I never had a good enough reason to shell out all that money 

Quoting dedhed:

Why would you have to give it up?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Well alright that just leads me to 100 more questions that I don't imagine you feel the need to answer, so good luck with your decisions.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Both my parents are US citizens. 

Quoting Anonymous 4: I may be Ignorant, but how do you have citizenship if you have never even been to the country?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)