Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mandatory DNA tests at birth

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:36 PM
  • 175 Replies
I was reading online that some people believe that there should be mandatory DNA tests done at birth in order to establish paternity.

Some were for it and others against it, what do you think? Should a DNA test be required at every birth to establish paternity?

What about mandatory DNA tests before child support is handled?
by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DezarooMama
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:37 PM
6 moms liked this
I feel indifferent to it. I wouldn't have cared.
LeftieX
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:38 PM
7 moms liked this
I don't think a child's DNA should be taken unless there is a question (legally) about paternity.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:38 PM
4 moms liked this
In theory, I'm okay with it. If mom has nothing to hide, no problem. If there's been some indiscretions and the husbands has chosen to forgive, well, that's fine, too. At least then, men would get the same definitive answer as women. Mom's baby, dad's maybe.

On the other hand, who's supposed to pay for it? The parents? The state?
anononononon
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:40 PM
I would assume it would be done immediately after birth and get tacked onto the bill, but that's a good point.

Quoting Anonymous 1: In theory, I'm okay with it. If mom has nothing to hide, no problem. If there's been some indiscretions and the husbands has chosen to forgive, well, that's fine, too. At least then, men would get the same definitive answer as women. Mom's baby, dad's maybe.

Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no problem with it. If you name a father there should be no problem problem bing DNA. If you don't name a father then no need until you want child support. Works for me.
MommyTo5Boys
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Sure why not? The only way I would be offended if it were mandatory is if I cheated. Faithful partners would have nothing to worry about.
I do believe tho if it’s a married couple and the husband doesn’t want one he should have the option to waive his rights to a dna test and assume paternity.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:42 PM
All of this.

I went out with my dh and his friends when we were still just dating. As the night went on and people became more and more intoxicated the topic of paternity came up. Every single father there had doubts, even the happily married ones. They never REALLY know. When I gave birth to my dd I had a paternity test done immediately, it was my gift to my dh. He didn't know anything about it, I just felt like I needed to do that for him.

Quoting Anonymous 1: In theory, I'm okay with it. If mom has nothing to hide, no problem. If there's been some indiscretions and the husbands has chosen to forgive, well, that's fine, too. At least then, men would get the same definitive answer as women. Mom's baby, dad's maybe.

MommyTo5Boys
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:43 PM
4 moms liked this
And going forward there would be a DNA registry of all people born in the USA so crimes would be far easier to solve.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:44 PM
Now that I think about it, over the years, DNA testing has become easier and easier and cheaper and cheaper. Hell, you can have it done yourself with a little kit from the drug store. So I think I'd be okay with what amounts to a nominal cost to give men the answers that women have always enjoyed by default.

Quoting anononononon: I would assume it would be done immediately after birth and get tacked onto the bill, but that's a good point.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:44 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't think it should be mandatory. It's there as an option for people who want it, but to force people to get one is completely unnecessary and a waste of money. There's never been any question about paternity in our family, but if that were the rule, I would chose to give birth somewhere it wasn't required, if possible. I personally find it insulting and meddlesome.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)