Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you talk to your kids about

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies

the racist stereotypes used on some older, but still very common, Disney films? For example the "what makes the red man red" song in Peter Pan, the Asian cats in Aristocats and Lady and the Tramp, and Jim Crow in Dumbo?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2017 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 5:19 PM
No I haven't and probably won't.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 5:22 PM
No. If they did I'd just say it was a diferemt era. People has different words for things. The end.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 25, 2017 at 5:22 PM

No I do not.

belle2780
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 5:23 PM
My kids haven't questioned them, but they also have always known since they could talk that just because we see it on tv or read it in a book doesn't mean it's ok to say or do something in real life. Of course my kids also had to deal with racism already last year at 8 and 9 years old. I am white and their dad is Nepali, Chinese, Mongolian and North Indian mix. They look a lot like him and have more of his coloring except they don't get as dark as he does in the summer. They have been picked on by some of the immigrant kids for not being dark enough to be considered black and picked on by some of the white kids for not being light enough. Honestly my kids look more like our neighbors who are Mexican and white then being half Asian and white and have been told frequently that they are lying about being Asian and just admit they are Mexican.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 5:23 PM

My only is an adult, but he I explained many of those things when he was growing up because he would ask questions.  Now he'll watch old movies or old tv shows (60's-80's old to him) and he'll now point out racism, sexism,etc that was just blatant in media during those times.  Sometimes he's surprised by how blatant it was, but at other times when he sees what's going on in the USA right now he's not so surprised.

cheekacheeka
by Emerald Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 5:23 PM

Nope, she's 4. She doesn't know what race is. She thinks people just come in different shades of color, and that's okay with me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 5:23 PM
No
LeftieX
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 5:23 PM
At an appropriate age, I would.
Manic_Sinner
by 5/27/2018🤰🏽 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 5:24 PM
No
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Sep. 25, 2017 at 5:24 PM
No I don't
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)