Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this piss you off? Do you consider it fraud?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
A kid is in a terrible accident. One of the kids who was there puts together a trees for charity tree for the kid. The parents did not ask this kid to do so. The tree sells for $7k, and that money is given to the kid's parents. The parents politely turn down all of the other fundraisers that were done for the kid.

The parents pay all of the kid's medical bills.

They use the donation money to: Pay for Christmas and birthday for the kid. The kid was in the hospital on Christmas 3 hours away from home. Donated a large portion to anonymously pay for part of another community member's dad's funeral. Dental and eye doctor follow up, and glasses and contacts for the kid. Various misc. expenses associated with having to be away from home with a kid in the hospital...occasional hotel room, food, toiletries, special comfy clothing for the kid, etc.

Do you feel like the parents committed fraud by not using that particular money to pay solely for the kid's medical bills? Would you be pissed? Do you believe you're entitled to know exactly how the recipient of a fundraiser spends the money?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:43 PM
I feel they did nothing wrong. The money was given to the family. They didn't beg for it or tell people it would be used for medical expenses. They did nothing wrong. I wouldn't expect to be told how it was spent or be given any proof or anything.
Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:46 PM
Not fraud at all. The child had a legit injury the parents didn't fake it for financial gain. They decided to pay the money forward, no harm.
mmm2015
by Eldouchedegrande on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:46 PM

It isn't fraud and it isn't a charitable organization you have no rights or entitlement

Joelskatysmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:46 PM

Who cares? It sounds like they used a lot on the kid. Once the money is given, the parents have control over it imo. It'd be different if they used it on themselves or going on vacation with it.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:48 PM
This.

Quoting mmm2015:

It isn't fraud and it isn't a charitable organization you have no rights or entitlement

katydid150
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:50 PM
Once the money was given to them it was theirs to do with what they wanted.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:56 PM
People know they are donating to for-profit expenditures when they donate through GoFundMe. I don't see the problem.
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:59 PM
The medical bills got paid right? If so then the money was used for what it was intended.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:06 PM
If they had already paid the medical expenses, you could think of it as using that money to pay themselves back. Related expenses like hotel stays definitely fall within the scope of medical expenses, imo. If there was leftover, then I guess that's theirs to do with as they please.

If they didn't pay their medical debt and instead left their kid in the hospital and took a fancy vacation or something, I'd call that fraud.
EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:10 PM

It's not fraud it's a gift. Which is up to the receiver to decide how to use it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)